Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from Vinegar, Duct Tape, Milk Jugs & More - by Earl Proulx
This is the coolest book ~

- some of the best sources of nutrients for your plants, both indoor & out, are the leftovers from your own meals. From breakfast through dinner, here are just a few of the possibilities.

1. The leaves from leftover tea bags or loose tea. These contain nitrogen, which is just what your plants need. Spread them over the soil & work them in a bit for the best effect.

2. Club Soda. Didn't finish that bottle you opened, and now it's flat? don't pour what's left down the drain. Instead, pour it over your plants. The minerals in the soda will be good for them.

3. Cooking water from pasta or potatoes. It has nutrients your plants can use, and the starches will give them an extra boost.

If you use all these and your plants are still thristy, go back to the kitchen sink. One pleasure of doing dishes by hand is being about to use the rinse water in our garden & houseplants. (except African violets) Soap in the water kills a number of pests, and you'll be doing your bit to conserve water as well, especially in times of drought.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I'll have to remember this, I have about 15 house plants and it would be nice to reuse water and not waste the nutrients my plants could use.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Great tips! Thanks! I use my used coffee grounds, I sprinkle them around my azalea bushes, they love it and bloom all year around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts