Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"The amount of money I save by prepping food on Sunday and having food for the week for at least four, five lunches and two dinners is probably one of the most efficient ways to use the food, especially with fresh produce," he said.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nice! I like the tacos idea; we do the stirfry idea often.

I like to roast a couple pans of veggies on most Sunday afternoons, then they make lunches for DH and I all week. I include chickpeas so there's protein, and use different seasonings each week for a little variety. Plus I just get whatever veggies I have or find.

I follow a YouTuber nail polish chick, and she regularly eats what she calls "garbage bowls," where it's just a bunch of healthy stuff tossed in a bowl. So she or her boyfriend makes sheet pans full of roasted/baked whatever or just their leftovers and then she just pulls them out and combines them in different ways for their dinners.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice! I like the tacos idea; we do the stirfry idea often.

I like to roast a couple pans of veggies on most Sunday afternoons, then they make lunches for DH and I all week. I include chickpeas so there's protein, and use different seasonings each week for a little variety. Plus I just get whatever veggies I have or find.

I follow a YouTuber nail polish chick, and she regularly eats what she calls "garbage bowls," where it's just a bunch of healthy stuff tossed in a bowl. So she or her boyfriend makes sheet pans full of roasted/baked whatever or just their leftovers and then she just pulls them out and combines them in different ways for their dinners.
Grain bowls are a good way to use prepped veggies and even left-overs. In addition to the typical (brown) rice as a base, I also use steel-cut oats, wheat berries, quinoa, and barley. I'm interested in checking out farro, but haven't bought any yet. You can also use processed grains such as cous cous, tiny pasta, and bulgur wheat. With the base grain, then just add a protein item (beans, meat, tofu, eggs), some veggies (roasted or raw, depending on which veggie), herbs/spices, and maybe a dressing. If you're toting a lunch, pack the dressing separately so things don't get soggy. And to make it even more fancy, think about a garnish such as chopped parsley, chopped scallions, or seeds/nuts.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I make soup or salads in a jar for my lunches at work. The soup is a teaspoon of bullion, a protein, and then I fill the jar up with frozen veggies. At lunch time, I fill the jar up with hot water and let it sit for a few minutes. The salad is one where you cut up some pickled veggies in the bottom and pour in some of the juice, then add in a protein and then fill the jar with veggies. Before eating, you shake the jar to distribute the pickled veggie juice.

There are variations on the soup as you can add in a teaspoon of rice vinegar, a teaspoon of soy sauce, and a dash of sesame oil to have an Asian variation.

I just grab a jar in the morning and toss it in my work bag. It makes my mornings go so much smoother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts