Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the only coffee drinker in the house, and have been looking for a replacement for my old 4 cup coffeemaker. Any suggestions?

I am not interested in the pod-type brewing systems, I am perfectly fine with my uber-cheap Aldi's coffee.

Specifically, I am looking for a carafe that will open up enough to sit completely upside down in the dishwasher, not drip on the counter when I pour, and costs under $40.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was perfectly fine with my Aldi coffee too until I found a Keurig at Goodwill...haha. :laugh: Now I will never go back.

Our Goodwill has had some nice 4 and 5 cuppers though, with the permanent filters. They get overruns and returns from Walmart and Target -- if yours does too, check there. Looks like one of them got overloaded with Mr. Coffee and Sunbeam.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Mary,

I am new here to Frugal Village and saw your post about 4 cup coffee makers. I have a 4 cup Mr. Coffee maker that I got at Wal Mart. I may have paid around $15 for it. I am not sure but I know I did not pay over $20 for it because I was just not going to pay more than that. It's about 3 years old and still going strong. While the lid does not come off the carafe completely, it does open enough that I think you could place it upside down in a dishwasher. I don't know for sure as I don't own a dishwasher. At least an electric dishwasher. I am the dishwasher in this household. As a backup and what I was using before buying the Mr. Coffee one is an old fashioned stovetop metal percolator. It has the stem and basket that you put in the pot and put it on the stove burner to make your coffee. It only makes about 5 cups. I don't remember where I bought it. I like it also. I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
You can get a 4-cup coffee pot almost anywhere. Target, Walmart, K-mart, Lowes, etc. They aren't very expensive. I have a Gevalia brewer than can brew 2 different cups at a time, about 12 ounces each. I only brew one cup each morning. I love it and I really like the Gevalia coffee. My mom gets me a package or two every Christmas!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking for specific brand / model recommends - thanks!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
i drink a lot of coffee here and i have a 12 cup,4 cup an old peculator and an old iron coffee pot you use on a stove top--i agree you should look into some thrift shops you might find a jewel there--oh and i use all my coffee makers too

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i drink a lot of coffee here and i have a 12 cup,4 cup an old peculator and an old iron coffee pot you use on a stove top--i agree you should look into some thrift shops you might find a jewel there--oh and i use all my coffee makers too
That's dedication!!!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I have a larger one, but a friend has the little Mr. Coffee one that she sure likes.

I would say DO NOT buy the Black and Decker Brand......from what I have heard. (they should have just stayed with tools!!) Have heard LOTS of complaints about many of their 'kitchen appl.'

I just saw one 4 cupper in the thrift shop........so take a look.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Mine is a kitchenaid brand. It's a insulated type its a 14 cup.No need to by filters it has a mesh one. I have had mine for 2 years. I paid. We make a pot and it stays hot all day. We only use the 4 or 6 setting.
KitchenAid®: Welcome to KitchenAid.com

·
8,714 Posts
~We absolutely love our Frieling Coffee Press. It's stainless, insulated and completely dishwasher safe. Ours is a 4 cup but other sizes are available. And we spent a bit more than your target price range but we hope it lasts much longer than glass carafes and machines that only seem to last 5 years. And we use Aldi coffee too. It's good! ;) ~

·
Registered
581 Posts
A trick I use to keep the pot from "dribbling" while you pour:
Lift the carafe lid slightly while you pour, especially if the pot is full.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've got an old 4 cup Mr Coffee that I use every day. The lid comes off. Uses the 4 cup throw-away filters and I don't care what anyone says - 300 filters for a buck or two has a lot less value than my time for taking care of reusable filters.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've got an old 4 cup Mr Coffee that I use every day. The lid comes off. Uses the 4 cup throw-away filters and I don't care what anyone says - 300 filters for a buck or two has a lot less value than my time for taking care of reusable filters.
Same here. I am pretty sure they still sell the Mr Coffee brand 4 cup for well under $20 at places like Kmart. I used to just cut regular coffee filters down to size but have since sprung for the small filters since I rarely even drink coffee anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts