Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically the ingredients to make homemade Febreeze is a mix of water and fabric softener.

Directions: Unless otherwise noted, place ingredients in a spray bottle and shake well to mix. Test a small unnoticeable area first before using to make sure no discoloration or damage occurs. Use as needed, shaking well each time before use.

Recipe #1

1 cup fabric softener
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups water

Recipe #2

2 cups water
1 cup fabric softener

Recipe #3

3 cups water
3 TBS fabric softener
3 TBS rubbing alcohol

Recipe #4

2 cups water (warm)
1/4 cup fabric softener
1 TBS baking soda

·
Registered
282 Posts
I love this idea. Thank you.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thanks, I made some using my free samples of Downy!!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Cool! Thanks so much for the recipes because I was planning to buy some Febreeze when I found it on sale. Now I don't have to buy it because I have the stuff.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
ive been using just vinegar and water for years in the kids and hubbys sneakers. The smell lol phew lol
Also on my last couch when the kids were small and quick clean ups were needed and quick sprays right after. Nothing like laying down on the couch pillow and smelling someone else sweat in the summer time lol ughhhhhhhh
I also use a tbsp of cleaning liquid once in blue moon to full container of water to it and wipe down or inside shoes and area rug on top. usually clean fresh smell cleaners.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
ive been using just vinegar and water for years in the kids and hubbys sneakers. The smell lol phew lol
Also on my last couch when the kids were small and quick clean ups were needed and quick sprays right after. Nothing like laying down on the couch pillow and smelling someone else sweat in the summer time lol ughhhhhhhh
I also use a tbsp of cleaning liquid once in blue moon to full container of water to it and wipe down or inside shoes and area rug on top. usually clean fresh smell cleaners.
Hrm...whats your ratio of water:vinegar? Im looking for a Febreeze alternative that doesnt involve liquid fabric softener (afraid of the flamability issue). How long does it your couch cushions take to dry after a spritz or two with the vinegar solution? Does it smell like vinegar a long while after?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ummm..... whoops lol

So I tried my hand at this and decided to share my... "experience."

I unintentionally mixed 2 recipes and blew up my kitchen :hat:

I don't have any kids, so never had to do any science fair experiments or anything like that. I never knew you couldn't mix baking soda and vinegar! Well, I found that out quickly when I mixed the ingredients, closed the spray bottle, and shook it... because it immediately blew up in my face and all over my kitchen.

On the bright side, my kitchen is VERY clean AND the spray smells great!

Word to the wise from the now wiser - don't mix baking soda and vinegar! :dunce:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks!! Got a small bottle of gain softener with my last purchase of gain. I havent used it so I think I am going to try this!! Yay!! I will let you know how it is!! :) thanks again!!

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo - our couch could use a spritz or two occassionally!!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I've made recipe #3 before and put it in a spray bottle. It was okay...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts