Frugal Village Forums banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
Not home yesterday and out of town family funeral today. Will be busy next 3 days after work getting ready for dh family visit Saturday. Need to set up a weekly plan for keeping this place tidy and clean after that.

I have gotten several more cupboards gone through and organized. Working on my closet now. I am totally disgusted with myself for the amount of clothes I have bought and never wore. Purses I have bought and never used. My part of the closet isn't even that big but the amount of clothes I had piled in there is crazy! I had been waiting( several years) until I got this weight I gained after turning 40 off before I went through it......now bag after bag is going. I NEED to shop smarter! I have started working on my new wardrobe and so far have been very careful.

I am giving myself until the end of the month to go through everything in this house, then like you Kim, I need to have a daily/weekly system to keep everything up. Maybe we can start a new challenge for that? I seem to do better with the support a challenge offers.

Discussion starter · #63 ·
TDN- You are doing great with this challenge!
Yes we should continue with mini challenges to keep up with the house cleaning starting Oct.

Discussion starter · #64 ·
Lower level of house vacuumed, furniture included. Amazing the amount of change, pens, etc that I found under cushions and under the furniture. Caught up on laundry.

Got rid of my lawnmower. I bought it new and only used it a couple of years.
I now pay someone to cut my grass - I just don't have the stamina (or desire!) to do it any more.
The man who now cuts my grass took the lawnmower in exchange for 1 free cut.

Still working on the closet, another bag of clothes in the back of car to donate. Cleaned out the silverware tray and whole drawer, gets lots of crumbs in there.
Kim, I never find anything in our furniture but under the furniture is usually several cat toys!

Discussion starter · #67 ·
The family gathering went well. I had no stress this a.m. getting ready for their arrival. I knew I had cleaned every room over the past couple weeks, I had prepared some of the meal last night (24-hour salad, chocolate chip cookies-dh made potato salad). Bratwurst grilled ahead of time and kept heated in slow cooker with sauerkraut. My parents stopped over, my daughter and her boyfriend, and son were here along with Dh's siblings/families. It was a great day! Played cards and than bocce ball as a group and everyone seemed to have a good time. Clean up was easy.
I do have more closets and cabinets to declutter/clean/organize yet.

Discussion starter · #68 ·
After work I washed dishes left by dh, washed 2 loads of clothes one folded the other still in dryer. Empty the dishwasher, filled it after company left on Saturday. Otherwise have been hand washing dishes each evening. My organizing for tonight is actually relaxing. My mom gave me 15 of her magazines she was done reading. I'm going through them tonight and planning to take them to work breakroom tomorrow so they don't clutter my space.

Discussion starter · #69 ·
No grandbaby yet, due in 12 days! Keeping up with the basics of housekeeping. Dishes getting washed and kitchen clean up after supper being done consistently before I relax after work. I'm making progress. Want to get the heavier blankets hung outside on the next dry/breezy day.

I don't know if I'll actually get to do a deep clean, but I can post what I do around the house to get it tidy and/or clean..... Will that work?

Discussion starter · #72 ·
Hi QM, use the challenge any way you would like!
I've heard a saying that a clean/tidy house is a wasted life. I don't agree, (unless you are obsessive/compulsive about it). I had got to the point of neglecting my home, I felt uncomfortable having people stop over to visit. I am trying to simplify my life/housekeeping by decluttering and organizing. Once deep cleaned I will come up with a flexible schedule to keep up with it.
I'm finding that each day I'm enjoying my home more. I am not worried about friends/family stopping over. I can find things easier. I am developing daily habits of washing the dishes, putting 'stuff' away when I am done with it, etc.
Tonight for example, I will be happy with just getting supper made, dishes done, mail gone through to tidy desk top, and get a load of laundry done. Found a recipe for oatmeal/cinnamon bread that I want to bake for a treat tonight.
I've never been a Suzy Homemaker, but I am feeling like my house is becoming a home again. :)

Got living room deep cleaned. Still have one shelf to go yet.. Wont stay that way long I am sure. Kitchen cabinets' are washed down. want to wax them yet. Dinning room about there. Finish up bedrooms and it will be locked down for winter. Do another deep clean in November when I put the Christmas tree up..

Discussion starter · #75 ·
keeping up with the basics. Need to get to the outside yardwork . Bushes need trimming and we have had bags of mulch waiting to be placed all summer. No grandbaby yet. DD due date in just 7 days now.

Discussion starter · #76 ·
Here I go , got to do a quick wipe down and sweep of the house...
wipe down done of main floor, bathroom floor the worst- I should be bald with all the hair I lose! I do have pile of mail to go through later but it is neatly piled by my laptop now.
Laundry started, will have clean fresh sheets to climb in to tonight! Which reminds me I should check the upstairs, respite client stayed a couple nights last week and he comes back tomorrow for a week stay. Bedding should be ok until he leaves next time but I need to clean that bathroom.
4 days left in this challenge.
Mass this a.m. then 10 year old baseball, great day to be outside, gotta love fall in Wisconsin- my favorite!
Have a great Sunday everyone!!

Discussion starter · #77 ·
My 40 day challenge was a success. Got a lot accomplished before grandson born on October 6. I'm a first time grandma! :) What an awesome experience it was to watch my daughter deliver a healthy baby boy! Now to stay motivated to keep things picked up, put away, and keep up with the basic household tasks. I think I'll join the To do challenge and see if this helps me.

Congrats on your new grandbaby. I have 1 grandson and you will need to keep things picked up once he starts to walk.
Mine is 18 months now and if things are not picked up he can destroy this place in a blink of an eye.

Discussion starter · #79 ·
Thanks Debra! My grandsons name is Axton, I see yours is Jaxson. I am glad I've decluttered and simplified my home surroundings. Less for me to clean and more time to enjoy him when he is around. :)

61 - 80 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.