Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~I'm sick of stuff! I do this fling every year and I'm also participating in the Fling 2010 Things Challenge and the stuff everywhere still seems to breed and pile up!
In previous years I've set a goal of items to fling(usually 1000) but this year I'm going to focus on a daily effort more than a large number. I'm hoping that a little bit every day will help me understand better why I hold onto things and what things enhance my family's lifestyle and what things burden it down.
So there are 100 days between now and the start of Winter. My goal is to fling 5 items daily for 100 days. I won't be counting items flung in the 2010 challenge in this thread.
Does anyone want to join me?~

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
~Day 1:
3 baby outfits that are too small or NMS
1 plastic container
filled up notebook

Lesson for today: I have enough clothes that I can keep a small amount of outfits for the baby that I really like and not keep extras "just in case".~

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'm in! I've been pondering the same thing. I'm ready to let go of the things that are weighing me down.

Reactions: nuisance26

·
19,119 Posts
What a great idea Nuisance - I'm joining you!! Instead of counting the numbers, I'm going to spend 15 minutes daily going through and getting rid of things. Great idea!!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I will join you in this.
I did not get anything gone through this summer like I wanted and now lots of piles are building up.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
I think I 'need' to join in this round....I have stuff and it comes and goes in large quantities....I need it all to go one way - OUT.

So 90 days huh? Lets see what I can get sorted, organized and OUT of the house :)

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
I'm in.

Now that the all-day morning sickness is over, I'm ready to get my butt in gear! I'm back at work, but I am dying to start clearing out again. A lot piled up over the summer and it needs to go. I don't want to bring a baby into a house full of clutter. AND...I caught 4 episodes of Hoarders the other night and it freaked me out. Dh said I should chill because I'm the total opposite, but I've been on a kick ever since!

Don't know if I will follow a particular goal, but I'm willing to start out by setting one of 10 items per week. Looking to get rid of big stuff, like toys and full bags of nonsense.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I am doing this as well. I am tired of stuff falling out of the cupboards at me in the kitchen and there is far to much junk in the linen closet. Now that the kids are back to school I can really concentrate on this.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I would like to try my hand at this as well..I would like to get the house cleaned and orderly before winter hits....Since we spend so much time indoors in the winter...it can feel overwhelming when it's too cluttered. Plus the landlord is remodeling or apartment complex and will be redoing the carpets etc...so I really need to clean my closets and stuff out...the less stuff hanging around the better...less to move around and get in the way!

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,041 Posts
Off to a good start! Dd and I cleaned our her room today. We filled a grocery bag with trash and she's donating about 15 books to our local elementary school. I'm going to count it as two items for the week. :)

·
19,119 Posts
congrats Amy - I would have counted all that as far more than 2!!

I had an epiphany this morning as I looked at a box of unearthed treasures I was (please notice the tense) going to take to school. Decided I was just keeping assorted stuff because they still had value - but not to me - so am going to sort through the boxes again and decide what I really no longer want!!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Did a much needed cleaning of my coupons.
Had at least the last 2 months of inserts sitting there.
Went through and cut out the ones I know I will use. Some were already expired.
Tossed the rest.
Cleaned out my coupon folder that I take to the store and filed the ones I cut. I am now up to date on the coupon front.

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
~Day 2:
5 cardboard boxes

Lesson: I have a habit of saving boxes to use as organizers. Well if I have less stuff to organize I don't need to keep the boxes right?~

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
~Day 3:
5 magazines read and bagged to be Freecycled

Lesson: I procrastinate reading magazines. Even if it was a good deal($8 for almost 60 magazines over the year)I prefer reading books. And I always fail to put a bookmark in the place I stop so I waste time going over the same stuff. I still have 35 magazines on my to-read shelf. :/ ~

·
Registered
867 Posts
I took out all the recycles in the house and went through all the mail from the last couple days. Not really flinging stuff, but every bit helps :)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Oh I am so in on this one. I have been going through my closets and going through my clothes. I have a huge pile for donation, I will log it and bag it tonight and let you know how many items it was. I'm afraid! LOL I was addicted to magazines, but now I have cut down my subscriptions to just 3. I won't have time to read any tonight, but those will be going as well.

Thanks for the kick to keep me going!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I am in on this challenge as well! We just moved to a beautiful new home, and I really want to keep it clean and clutter free. We didn't have time to go thru and toss before we moved, so I am doing it as we go thru boxes. Now I am down to just "crap" boxes and really need to start flinging!

I am going to set a time....20 minutes per day...and see how much I can fling per session! That should be helpful and FUN!

1 - 20 of 144 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.