Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until last year, I slathered maple syrup on pancakes, biscuits, corn bread, ice cream, and anything else that might taste right with it. Last year the price of syrup around here hit over $40 a gallon...at my neighbors and elsewhere. Decided I had enough and quit using it cold turkey. What helped me get over it, I replaced it with home made applesauce. I figured that 2 quarts of applesauce = about 1 quart maple syrup the way I used it. So, $5 a quart applesauce...means I just put up $40 worth today.:) Since I can't bank the money saved, I'll stockpile it.

<I calculated an alternative> :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I just paid $13.98/quart for maple syrup at Sam's Club, but it will last us for 6-months or more. I also use maple granules/sugar, which gives you the taste of maple on those pancakes/French toast, etc., but you only use a light sprinkle of them. I also don't pour maple syrup on pancakes. I measure out 1-2 T. into a small dish and we dip our pancakes in it.

The reason I use real maple syrup is because there are hard-to-get essential glyco-nutrients in maple syrup that aren't readily available in other foods. So it's actually a good-for-you food (in moderation).

I can't believe you spend $5 for a quart of applesauce!!! You can most certainly make your own for much less from fresh apples (2.5 to 3.5-pounds of apples per quart of applesauce) and keep it in the freezer. It's especially cheap to make during apple season. I can pick all the free apples I can bring home and dehydrate them. I make dehydrated apples into applesauce. I'm not exactly sure, but I think applesauce is just under $2/quart ($1.89???) at Aldi (someone correct me if that's wrong). I make my own applesauce, so it's not a food item I normally purchase.

·
2,688 Posts
I think he made his own applesauce.
He was putting a special value worth it to him on each jar, because he can subsitute it for the maple syrup.

One of our friends told me syrup was going to be $ 50 a gallon this year.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, make my own sauce. I personally don't see why maple syrup should go up to $50 this year. The fuel for making it (oil or nat. gas) is way less expensive than it was last year. I normally bought a couple gallons a year until last year.

put up <-- an older term for DIY food.

·
2,688 Posts
I don't normally track maple syrup prices because it has got way too pricey for us to buy years ago. But this friend of mine, her son is going to make some for one of his high school classes he is taking at a nature center. She said that was going to be the selling price.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Yeow! Knew there was a reason that I don't buy maple syrup.

Mrs. Butterworths is good enough for me.

I LOVE applesauce on pancakes, toast, even just bread, butter and applesauce not toasted. If I buy it, I always add gobs more cinnamon.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
holy thats exspensive applesauce. dont blame ya for making your own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts