Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would let you guys know this. I have looked at internet prices for 5 gallon plastic buckets, and gamma seal lids for storing various foods. The lids were around 6 bucks each, and the buckets were more than I wanted to pay.
I was in Menards a while back, and they had the buckets and lids cheaper than anything I have seen on the internet sites.
Now I know that you can get free buckets from some of the stores, and that is the way to go, but sometimes I just don't want to wait, and need buckets.
The Gamma seal lids are the way to go for storing foods long term, because they have gaskets that positively seal the air out, and they have a screw on lid if you need to get into them periodically.
So if you need lids or buckets, check out Menards!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Winco has them very cheap too. At my store they are back with the bulk foods. I think the buckets were 5 dollars and the lids were cheap too. They had gamma lids and regular screw on lids (not gamma)... Going to invest in some soon.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I love my gamma buckets. I have 10. I have three more lids and I have been looking for a cheap source for buckets.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I dont remember exact pricing, but Menards buckets were less than 3 dollars each. It's worth checking out!

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I don't think we have Menard's out this direction. Thanks though!

I went and looked for the fun of it. The closest one is in Casper, Wyoming. **teehee** Yeah, a little far...

·
Registered
675 Posts
None of the stores locally sell them here. I was lucky enough to find 3 gamma lids at a garage sale a couple months ago for $5. The lady was so surprised that someone knew what they were for. She used to work for the company and they were leftovers.
I got pickle barrels from a sub company and I plan to wash and dry them well and use them. I do have some mylar bags also but I doubt I will be storing a huge amount of food with limited storage space!

It's great that you could find them locally Mr. Fixit. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know how to get gasket lids to work with the "free" buckets? I have 6 different buckets from the bakery and the lids I bought at Walmart with the gaskets don't fit on any of them.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
So at Winco these are the prices here:

5 GALLON SIZES:
Gamma Lids-6.98
Buckets-3.98
Lids with gasket-1.38

2 GALLON SIZES
Gamma Lids-4.98
Buckets-2.48
Lids with gasket-.98

50 count oxygen absorbers-4.78
Lid opener-1.98

Hope this helps anyone.. The prices were as of 5/5/12.

·
Registered
484 Posts
you can find both 5 gal. buckets and gama seals at most lowes and home depot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts