Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just so happen to find a blue water container that you can put water in. So.....6 gallons are water are in it. Now.....(dumb question)..... should this just be for drinking water or is this considered water that you can't drink since it will be in that container. I am asking because when you buy water in gallons in the store, it has an expiration date.
I currently use 2 liter bottles to fill water in to use to flush the toilet.
please advice.....please don't laugh at me. I am still learning a lot.
Sinopa

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Water doesn't expire, it just absorbs off flavors from the plastic it is stored in. Either use it and refill it frequently enough you're not tasting plastic, or leave it for emergency toilet use.

If you want to keep it for emergency drinking water, I suggest changing out the water every couple of months.

Reactions: NewLeaf

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so there isn't a way to store drinking water for long term use?

·
Registered
581 Posts
so there isn't a way to store drinking water for long term use?
Between absorbing flavours and toxins from the plastic, and growing bacteria, algae and stuff, it isn't worth it.

Anything you stockpile has a shelf life. You need to use up the items before they expire and replace them. Stored water is no different.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am glad I didn't buy 100 of these containers. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,464 Posts
I agree with whats been posted, but just to add...

6 gallons of water = approximately 48 lbs. I think a lot of people look at large containers as a way to save space and forget to think about the point when they will need to use the stuff. Imagine carrying 6 gallons of water up the basement stairs in the dark, in the middle of the night when you're dead beat, or worse, hurt. :(

Same thing with gasoline. A 5 gallon can of gas is great until you have to carry it a long way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been storing drinking/potable water since at least 2004 using a variety of potable water containers (see link below). I currently have about 350 gallons of potable water stored, not including the water in two hot water heaters that have a total capacity of 140 gallons.

I never "rotate" my water - never.

Occasionally, I'll take a small sample and have either my wife (who can smell ants in the house, I on the other can't smell at all) or my son and the water is just fine - no aftertaste, no "plastic" smell, nothing. And certainly no bugs or algae or any of that crap.

So just store clean water in clean robust (read the FAQ cited below for recommendations of what to use and more importantly - not to use) containers in a cool dark place and don't worry about it.

Good luck.

[Can't post a URL - therefore Google search on "Water Storage Container FAQ"; find V2.6]

·
Registered
586 Posts
To OP: in order to "flush" said toilet, pouring from 2 liter bottle won't cut it - you need to pour out the bottles into a large pot or bucket, pour from that - quickly - from Waist-high: you need the suction-action to happen (lots water, all at once, with some force behind it) in order to flush. Might want to practice a couple times, just so ya know!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been storing drinking/potable water since at least 2004 using a variety of potable water containers (see link below). I currently have about 350 gallons of potable water stored, not including the water in two hot water heaters that have a total capacity of 140 gallons.

I never "rotate" my water - never.

Occasionally, I'll take a small sample and have either my wife (who can smell ants in the house, I on the other can't smell at all) or my son and the water is just fine - no aftertaste, no "plastic" smell, nothing. And certainly no bugs or algae or any of that crap.

So just store clean water in clean robust (read the FAQ cited below for recommendations of what to use and more importantly - not to use) containers in a cool dark place and don't worry about it.

Good luck.

[Can't post a URL - therefore Google search on "Water Storage Container FAQ"; find V2.6]
thanks!!! I will look that info!!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with whats been posted, but just to add...

Same thing with gasoline. A 5 gallon can of gas is great until you have to carry it a long way.
BTW, can you store gasoline for a long time?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My cousin uses 2 liter pop bottles to store her water in. She has done this for years and the water is fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.