1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
All good advice except, from my perspective, perhaps the soft drink cans in the car. In fact, in the winter I do sometimes keep some in the trunk, and will take one in when I'm working a long shift.

But in the summer, it would be much too exciting to keep soft drinks in the car. The cans explode. I've seen it happen, though fortunately, not to me. Not to mention that in that kind of weather you really don't want a very hot drink in a very hot can. This, however, is clearly a geograhical issue.

·
19,119 Posts
Mahalo Amy - you are so right about a refresher helping out!!

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
All good advice except, from my perspective, perhaps the soft drink cans in the car. In fact, in the winter I do sometimes keep some in the trunk, and will take one in when I'm working a long shift.

But in the summer, it would be much too exciting to keep soft drinks in the car. The cans explode. I've seen it happen, though fortunately, not to me. Not to mention that in that kind of weather you really don't want a very hot drink in a very hot can. This, however, is clearly a geograhical issue.
I've seen them explode in extreme cold too :( Only take one or two with your daily as needed vs keeping a case in your car. My case of water seems to have expanded enough to almost crack the bottle - very cold temps a few weeks back and thank goodness we caught the leaks before it really warmed up to what its been this week! I'd have a flooded trunk!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Convenience stores is a major down-fall and I've said it before here.

Besides lotto tickets and just the 'convenience' of stoping to make your day fulfilled.. fluffy and all... when one has to go to work???

Just gah....I've been in this trap before.

Do I need to buy hostess donuts by the bulk..twinkies and zingers and green tea, Dr.Pepper and get a membership at Costco for it to become cheaper? No, I'm not kidding...?

Dh never gains weight! Grumble*

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Great list. Glad I learned to avoid those money pitfalls years ago. Hubby and I walk early in the morning and go by a convenience store. It's amazing how many "regulars" we see in there everyday... Newspapers are delivered to homes/businesses for much less per copy, coffee is certainly cheaper made at home, and soda/pop by far rakes in more money for convenience stores than the gas they sell. But like I said, we walk by (LOL).

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
This is a great reminder. I used to go to the convenience store way too often. One of my co-workers stops there every single morning, it's amazing the money he spends there. I haven't been in ages.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Thanks Amy, I've got those down. Now I need some professional to come look at my life and see what I'm missing, LOL.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Yes plus soft drink are terrible for womens bones cause the phosporous from pop eats up your bones and the carbination is bad for your digestive system. So Beware of those sweet drinks if you don't want osteoporosis!!!!!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Some others I can think of are:
Buying individual serving bottled water...WTH???
Buying ice...another WTH????
Not using store/gas station rewards cards...if you are going to frequent the business use their rewards programs...we saved $1.75 off each gallon of gas (20) just due to the points on our Wesco card.
Printing coupons off your own system without using them...wastes paper, ink and time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i wish i could wean my husband off convenience stores! he's a cable tech so he's on the road all day driving from house to house. it's easy (one might say "convenient" :p) for him to stop in for a drink.

some days i'll check our bank balance and see that he's stopped in at them 2 or 3 times a day!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes plus soft drink are terrible for womens bones cause the phosporous from pop eats up your bones and the carbination is bad for your digestive system. So Beware of those sweet drinks if you don't want osteoporosis!!!!!
Are there any studies or evidence you can provide to back this statement up? I think it is possible but it also sounds a little far fetched.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've seen them explode in extreme cold too :( Only take one or two with your daily as needed vs keeping a case in your car. My case of water seems to have expanded enough to almost crack the bottle - very cold temps a few weeks back and thank goodness we caught the leaks before it really warmed up to what its been this week! I'd have a flooded trunk!
In Wisconsin, I've seen both temparature extremes. One can exploded right as we were getting into our car in the summer -- sounded like a gun shot! Unfortunately, I've wasted a few sodas by leaving them in my car in the winter. The cans freeze -- tops and bottoms bulge out and sometimes they explode.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
i wish i could wean my husband off convenience stores! he's a cable tech so he's on the road all day driving from house to house. it's easy (one might say "convenient" :p) for him to stop in for a drink.

some days i'll check our bank balance and see that he's stopped in at them 2 or 3 times a day!
Don't I know it! The Old Man does satellite instillation (for now, he officially applied for the Management job and we're waiting to hear back), and he was stopping at the store for Gaterade and iced teas... WAS... I bought him a cooler and buy the same size bottles for much cheaper at the grocery store. Toss a few bottles in the cooler with some ice and in the van it goes for the day.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Good list and good reminder. Sweet Tea in restaurants can be just as expensive as soda. Water with lemon is what I get. I found organic lemons. So, if I know I am going out to eat, I am going to start bringing my own lemons.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have to watch it when I go to Sheetz. The food is pretty good and easy to be tempted.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Are there any studies or evidence you can provide to back this statement up? I think it is possible but it also sounds a little far fetched.
Lucas, just google the subject and you will have plenty to read about it. Most Dr's will tell you the same thing......the carbonated ones at least. Now they are also studying caffeine and the affect it has - so far with mixed results.

·
Registered
948 Posts
great advice. always need little reminders :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts