Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought two turkeys for 67 cents a pound. I am happy with that price considering what they have been selling for. We will cook one for Thanks giving and save the other for later. There will be plenty of leftovers to be frozen for soups and casseroles. What will you pay this year?

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
what will I pay?? Hopefully 67 cents a pound if you share what store ya got those from.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what will I pay?? Hopefully 67 cents a pound if you share what store ya got those from.
The store was Kroger. You did have to make an additional $20 dollar purchase.

Reactions: Russ

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
will have to check my krogers and see if they are doing it, i seen it last week at kroger for .79 i think and was thinking that was a good price. Now with a $20 purchase could you get 2?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will have to check my krogers and see if they are doing it, i seen it last week at kroger for .79 i think and was thinking that was a good price. Now with a $20 purchase could you get 2?
Yes, I got two for .67 a pound. Our ad comes in the mail Wednesday, but it is available online the Sunday before.

·
8,714 Posts
~Very nice deal!
I paid $.59lb last year and bought two whole birds.
This year I'm looking for a good sale on the turkey breast only. I think it was $1.50lb last year. It's easy to get the meat off the bone with a turkey breast.
I'm not buying cheap whole birds anymore just to have to spend half the day baking it and the other half trying to get every little bit of meat of of it just to save pennies on the pound compared to chicken breasts. Not at all worth it to me.~

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
I keep trying to tell my wife that Constance but she insists on picking all the tiny little scraps off.
I can't complain too much though... I get turkey scraps and gravy a few times. :D

·
19,119 Posts
That's a really good idea Nuisance and would work perfectly for me. Trouble is DH loves dark meat - that's okay. Don't mind cooking the turkey since I love it and the leftovers so much. I cook one before turkey day even if we go over to our friends' house.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
I got two turkey breasts last month when they first put them out, at $1.49 a pound. I felt that was a reasonable price, and I got my choice of birds by buying early.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
Awesome! Don't think it's on sale at our Kroger. It's not in our ad anyway.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I saw at Aldi about an hour ago 99cent a lb. Don't know if they will go down. Not sure what Walmarts price is.

·
2,688 Posts
I have not seen any turkey deals yet. I would like to get a few deals like I did last year. Turkey breast at .99 a pound.
We both prefer the white meat.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Great deal fixer! I just bought one today at 80 cents a pound and I thought I was doing well! :)

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Price Chopper had theirs on sale for 59c/lb w/ a $25 purchase. I got mine :toothy: At that price that early, I'm thinking they will go lower later this month!

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
It dropped as low as .59/lb last year for whole birds. I am waiting to pounce, as I usually buy about six at that price (all my freezer will hold), so I can cook them up and/or use them as dog food. Anything under $1.00/lb, meat-wise, is acceptable to me for dog purposes, but I have to factor in how much I'm paying for bone weight, if I don't intend to feed raw.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last year, we were able to get them at .59/lb. With the wholesale prices of birds up this year, I was afraid to wait. I hope I did not move to soon.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is like the turkey stock market. :)
I tend to view everything that way, checking supply and demand, making calls looking for insider information and determining a target price. I really need to find a hobby.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
That's a great price. I'll have to check my Kroger as well. I've been in the mood for turkey for a while now. I might not even wait til Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was in WalMart last night and they had them for .40/lb with a limit of two. I don't have room in my freezer for a turkey (good problem to have) since I stocked up on pork chops at Aldi earlier in the week. I did buy one to thaw and cook later this week. I haven't seen a price that low for years.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts