Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~Couldn't have come at a better time for me. We're moving from our rental to our new house in just a couple weeks. It's a neighborhood move so I don't need to really, really pack but I will be boxing things all this week. Overall from now until December 21st I hope to purge 1000 items. But from now until the move I'm aiming for 250 of that.
I count most items as 1 out. However, papers and small toy or craft items are too tedious to count so I count grocery sized bags or a small trash can full as 25 out. You can count however works best for you.
Anyone else in for 1000 items out of their homes this Fall?~

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm in! I just moved to a new house in May, it's amazing how much stuff I've already accumulated/ didn't want to part with in the move!

Reactions: nuisance26

·
Super Moderator
19,559 Posts
I'm in! I need to clean out my sewing room and the back bedroom and get rid of excess crafting and camping stuff. There's crap in the garage that needs to go to the landfill, too.

I didn't see this challenge till today, but since it was already started, I'm counting the four items I flung to GW yesterday. Having something on the board might encourage me.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I already have a pile going I'll add to it and focus on moving things OUT. I don't have a number

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Count me in...the church rummage sale is coming up in October so I'll donate my items for that...aiming for 500 items to purge. Awesome challenge!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Dd went through her drawer and pulled out 4 things

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Even though I've disappointed myself in the past with these flings, I'm throwing my hat into the ring again anyway. I do feel a little stoked though because I did give away quite alot of kids clothes in the past week. Since this Fling officially started on 8-22, I'm already at about 45. Not too shabby! :)

Theresa

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm always flinging!!! right now I have two boxes in the garage waiting to go to the thrift......when I go that direction. I should count what is out there. We just redid the den and I pitched 5 garbage bags of shredded paper last week!

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
~Our closing was pushed back again. Urg! Well, now I have more time to lighten the load before we go.
Broke a mug, an appliance and a pie plate this week and tossed an old manual too. I scanned a box of my daughter's art pages to put on disc. The papers filled a grocery bag so I will count them all as 25. 29 out.~

·
Registered
460 Posts
Im in! I actually filled a huge contractor trash bag full this weekend and we listed some items that are collecting dust on ebay so I am off to an ok start!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I just hauled 2 trash bags to goodwill and 2 boxes of kids junk to the consignment shop
Thats at least 150-200 things

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Condensed 2 ancient photo albums and a 1/2 full photo box into 2 other almost empty photo boxes flung the albums and box

Added another pair of barely worn kids shoes to the box I'm giving to a friend.

Decided instead of keeping a bag of stuff for freecycle I'm just gonna chuck it

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I'm flinging again! I cleaned out my makeup bag...considering I rarely wear makeup there was a lot of old stuff in there.
Flea marketed some toys and 4 other things
Gave 3 video games to my uncle
I added about 10 things to the bag to go to goodwill next week

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
~Oh my, somebody motivate me, please!
Between all the stuff I need to do to buy the next house(oh so much paperwork for the third time this year), homeschooling two kids, taking two classes myself, house guests over the last weekend and a health issue I'm dealing with now, I haven't found one drop of motivation to use weekend time to do anything but clean, cook, read and sew or go on planned school trips.
Worse, I've been adding stuff to the house over the last month. We have a new/vintage dining set(kept the old one in the garage for my sewing table in the new place), grandparents brought tons of toys for the kids, and I purchased some cloth pull-ups for the toddler and thrift sweaters and books for me. That's a lot of bulk that I'd prefer was going out.
Our old house was 800 square feet with a shed, our rental is 1250 with a two car garage and the new place is 1492 with a 3 car garage, partial basement and storage shed. Just because I'll have plenty of space there is no reason to hang onto things we aren't using.
New goal: 15 minutes a day to declutter. I may not have the time I'd like to tackle stuff but I'm pretty sure I can spare 15 minutes every day. :) ~

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
You can do it!!! Think about how much easier your move will be if you get rid of stuff on this end instead of schelpping it to a new house.

·
Founder
19,054 Posts
I'm in. I started about 3 weeks ago. Obviously, not fall cleaning daily. LOL I did rent a dumpster to get rid of some Little Tykes stuff on our back porch and some cardboard boxes. The porch is nice and clean and ready for our wood delivery soon. I have a big linen closet on the first floor. It always becomes a dumping ground for things when I'm not sure where to put them. I always go through it once a year, but this year decided to do something new. With being a family of 6, organizing shoes is a BIG ordeal. I've tried everything. Over-the-door hangers for everyone, shoe racks for each child in their own rooms, shoe racks in the entryway closet, shoe rack in the entryway, laundry baskets for shoes, etc etc. I emptied the entire closet and each family member gets an entire shelf for shoes. The other side of the closet is for sports gear. I had sports gear (big athletic bags) on a big utility shelf in the play room and then two rolling sterlite organizers with drawers. We still had overflow and that's with some sports gear that stays in the car trunk. sigh. So now I am using the shelf for some of the gear.

I purged a lot of clothing. I do this every year, too.

I cleaned and organized my pantry. I have one cabinet that I want to do. It holds silly stuff like sandwich plate sets, fondue pot, etc. I also need to do something with our family room. Toys always end up over here because the play room is the next room over. I purged tons of toys last year and am ready to do it again. With my youngest being 4, I need to hold onto some toys, but need to cull more for sure.

I cleaned out all of the coffee table drawers. Each side has two drawers and they were stuffed with books, school papers, whatnot.

My bag total of stuff out was at about 12 trash bags of what I consider junk. While that seems awesome, unfortunately, it doesn't really dent the sheer amount of stuff in this place. I really should let go of some comforters. I'm holding onto too many. I have them stored in large totes, but it's just crazy, really.

So family room is next. I only work a couple of days on projects because of work and kids. I don't do well with starting a project, stopping and picking it back up again. It's too frustrating for me. I have 6 weeks mapped out and specific tasks on certain days. :)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I spent 2 days cleaning up yard debris (ok half days cause the soiders we skeeving me out) and I need one more day.
We are preparing the house for ds birthday party so that's great motivation

1 - 20 of 84 Posts