1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
895 Posts
What I do when I don't have time/feel like cooking and Im not at home is go to the prepared food (salads) section of Aldis and make my pick there. I really love salads, so I hope on ever being able to make a wide selection of them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have a friend that will only buy Popeye's chicken when she has a coupon and gets the red beans as her side and tells them "beans only, no rice" then when she gets home, cooks her own rice and it goes twice as far. I don't buy takeout very often but their chicken, red beans & biscuits are awesome and they regularly send out coupons. I also know several diabetics, myself included, who ask for the rice to be cut.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
We don't do take out but a handful of times a year, yesterday being one (for DH)-

But with that being said, we stopped at White Castle (after a long day on the road & a packed cooler that contained lunch, drinks & snacks) - but DH wanted a treat for his dinner. White Castle is his guilty pleasure.

Having the forethought to have drinks & chips already in our arsenal - he just purchased 6 burgers, and had his fill.

The other plus, since we don't eat out - on the rare occasions that it happens - we enjoy every moment of it for the 'guilty' luxury that it is....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
We always have water with our meal....drinks are almost $2 a person.....for a family of 4, that would save almost $8!!!! Use coupons....b1g1f.....entree's are so large, one can easily serve two....you can always add a salad or a veggie from your stockpile...

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
To Chinese food I add my own homemade fried cabbage...stretches it wwwaaayyy far! I can buy a small lunch entry and stretch it into two meals.

·
Registered
346 Posts
https://www.mint.com/blog/how-to/7-ways-to-save-on-takeout-0713

The obvious one would, of course, be to not eat out. :)

Some of the options are good but I don't think a microwaved sweet potato is going to satisfy a french fry craving. Nor is quinoa with marinara going to cut it when I want pizza.
Exactly what I was thinking lol! I'm so over the sweet potatoes taste just as good commentary. They don't! Health benefits sure, but taste wise I'll pass. Quinoa has too weird of a texture for me.

I was actually surprised that the average person only spends $900 a year on takeout. I know I spend way more than that and I do cook. Sure sometimes takeout is just me being lazy or its really late and I'm too tired to cook, so I'll pick up a burger or a sandwich. Other times I want some type of ethnic food I can't make. I am trying to learn to cook more things I frequently get as takeout such as Indian, Chinese, and Mexican to cut down on some costs though. The sushi however, I'm not even going to try lol.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vegetable sushi is easy to make at home, though. Lots of how-tos on youtube and the ingredients are cheap. A veggie roll will tide me over for a week or three so I don't end up needing to buy the expensive restaurant rolls when I have cravings.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
we used to buy 2 dinners for 4 people at the chinese place and order 2 more eggrolls. Then no drinks because had $1. 2L of pop stockpiled at home. Comes out about $5-6. a person that way

We always get burgers loaded and freeze tomatoes or pickles that are left.
Sometimes Dh and would eat out and refill the pop w/o ice for later (or the kids sometimes)
We always saved the condiments to cook w/
And the napkins for the glove compartment
Sometimes I get an XL slurpy and take it home and divide it. Use my speedway points too.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Vegetable sushi is easy to make at home, though. Lots of how-tos on youtube and the ingredients are cheap. A veggie roll will tide me over for a week or three so I don't end up needing to buy the expensive restaurant rolls when I have cravings.
I have heard about that, but sadly I'm too much of a meat eater. The veggies are good, but just not the same.

My thought is that if I can work other ethnic foods into my cooking skills then that'll drop the budget enough to just allow for sushi, but create a decent savings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts