Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dayuuuum. :dancing:

I could go back and forth to work on less than a gallon of fuel.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/05/0...s-new-1-2l-three-cylinder-diesel-should-push/

Volkswagen announces new 1.2L three-cylinder diesel; should push new Polo to 71 mpg
by Sam Abuelsamid (RSS feed) on May 1st 2010 at 1:25PM

Volkswagen has officially unveiled a new three-cylinder turbodiesel engine at the annual Vienna Motor Symposium. The new 1.2-liter engine features the same common-rail fuel injection systems and basic architecture as VW's 1.6-liter and 2.0-liter inline fours.

The new engine produces 74 horsepower and 133 pound-feet of torque at just 2,000 rpm. When VW unveiled the new Polo at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show, a concept version of the next generation Bluemotion model was shown with this engine. The three-cylinder Polo is expected to be rated at 71.3 miles per gallon (U.S.) and 87 grams / kilometer of CO2 emissions on the EU combined test cycle.
Put that in your Hybrid and smoke it. :D

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The link didn't work for me.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Link didn't work for me either.......darn.

But is it as noisy and stinky as the usual diesel is??? And the hard start on the cold mornings.......what then?

The mileage is great......if true. And.....automatic or stick??

Is it showing that I don't trust automotive companies? :laugh:

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
That is no longer the case. I drive a diesel pickup and it's very quiet and does not stink.
That is good to hear. And the cold morning starts???

My friends have older pu's....but haven't ridden in a quiet one. The stink is only if you are behind one!!

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cold start problems, unless in the extremes with wind chills, are fairly rare. I know a lot of guys with diesel pick ups who do not plug in. I have not plugged my truck in for years and I live in Michigan.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I grew up w/ VW bugs. Maybe i should consider one again after we finally lose the minivan. I do still have nightmares of dad revving up icy back roads in the winter. He would purposely take up out to MIlford to do it. I assume they have heat now.lol
I need to go call my therapist now.

·
Premium Member
21,255 Posts
:D love that gas mileage

·
Registered
746 Posts
I currently have the V-dub Jetta TDI wagon. LOVE IT! It is quiet and gets great milage. A long trip I did to PA and averaged 52 mpg. :) A little above it's rating, but was trying to max fuel efficiency for fun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '06 Jetta TDI. Love love love it, I will never go back to a gas car. I get somewhere around 50-55 MPG on the highway without trying. Driving around town I fill up (13 gal) every 550-575 miles.

No, it's not stinky or slow. It is a 5-speed just becuase it's fun. And I've never had a problem with it starting in the cold.

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an '06 Jetta TDI. Love love love it, I will never go back to a gas car. I get somewhere around 50-55 MPG on the highway without trying. Driving around town I fill up (13 gal) every 550-575 miles.

No, it's not stinky or slow. It is a 5-speed just becuase it's fun. And I've never had a problem with it starting in the cold.
AWESOME. Thanks for posting and welcome to Frugal Village.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts