Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24777955/

Millions of Americans take drugs everyday. You might want to meet up with your doctor regarding your medications if you take any of these:

Advair - for asthma
Avandia - for diabetes
Ketek - an antibiotic
Prilosec and Nexium - for heartburn
Visine Original - red eyes
Pseudoephedrine - decongestant

This article interviewed doctors who discuss why they wouldn't take these particular drugs, the bio downside of these drugs based on recent studies, and suggest healthier alternative strategies to cope with these particular health issues.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Oh great :( Advair works better for me than any of the other corticosteroid inhalers I've used. I had no idea there were problems associated with it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Oh great :( Advair works better for me than any of the other corticosteroid inhalers I've used. I had no idea there were problems associated with it.
Same here!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have you tried Symbicort?
http://www.symbicort.com/
I had used Advair but had really bad dry mouth, so about 5 months ago my doctor gave me Symbicort to try. It's really worked well for me in keeping my asthma in check.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
I know that there are problems with Prilosec and Nexium, but what you gonna do? The alternatives they suggest are not at all effective, so I'm left choosing between daily misery and the risk of esophogeal cancer, or heart problems. I figure I'm going to die of something no matter what I do, so I'll stay with the regimen my doc prescribes. Life is risky.

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Interesting! My son's doctor just prescribed him Advair yesterday!!!!!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I take Nexium and I know what happens when I don't take it ~ I'll take my chances and have a decent life ~ however long or short it might be :)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I know that there are problems with Prilosec and Nexium, but what you gonna do? The alternatives they suggest are not at all effective, so I'm left choosing between daily misery and the risk of esophogeal cancer, or heart problems. I figure I'm going to die of something no matter what I do, so I'll stay with the regimen my doc prescribes. Life is risky.
{{HUGS}} Sorry to hear that you have been suffering from reflux! I bet your doctor never told you that a complete enzyme supplement would cure you of this problem? I cannot tell you the number of people that i have educated on this and they are now free of the drugs and the reflux! This is the supplement that dh and I take with our food and also in between meals .

http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Naturals-Pancreatin-8X

Also, a great article that explains the many health benefits of one of the enzymes, lipase

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/lipase.html

Hope this helps you:)

Reactions: Palooka

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
I've had acid reflex disease for years and taken all those meds for years. *cries* I take whatever insurance will cover.

Talk about misery if I miss a dose.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Interesting....very interesting indeed. Its kind of funny or odd, depending on your view of how the same medicines are labelled or preferred across the border. When in doubt or if any of the medications that I am are in the news....I just ask my doctor. They know what you're on and if not you're going to remind them if you're truly concerned, no?

But that article is great food for thought. I have shared that link with a few friends.

·
Inactive
582 Posts
I take psuedoephedrine and while it can be dangerous, it has also changed my life. I went from unable to breathe - literally struggling for breath, especially late at night or early morning, coughing up batches of slime - to being able to function. Frankly, I don't care WHAT the side effects might be. It allows me to operate somewhat like a regular person. I have one hundred times better. Even better would be being able to take ephedra still.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I take Avandia, I have my heart checked every 3 months and had a comprehensive diagnostic last November. I only take the smallest dose and it works really well for me.

Advair I take when I have pneumonia.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts