1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Had heard about most of those............also, the ice machine is another one that I have heard..........and they seldom mention MONEY...........but that is supposed to be horrible.

The one that I have never heard mention.......and that I forget about...........your OWN doorknobs at home..........and your car steering wheel and gear shift knobs!! :yikes: Think about it.......out running errands, touching all the 'stuff'..........and then you drive home!! :thud:

I figure the only thing saving me on the door knob thing is that it is so cold in my garage they (germs) wouldn't last long!!!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Just heard on the news last night that trays from the food court are as dirty as the public restrooms. Ewwww...

Lemons :(

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Hmm....I haven't died yet....

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
this list could be so much longer. germs are everywhere just waiting

·
27,948 Posts
Just heard on the news last night that trays from the food court are as dirty as the public restrooms. Ewwww...

Lemons :(
They were talking about this the other day on the radio. Yuck is right. Eat at home, save money and be able to swallow your food knowing that you've done your best to keep things pretty well clean.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Someone told me about lemons a year or so ago. I just assume there are germs everywhere and try to wash my hands as often as possible without being accused of being obsessive-compulsive. I also use the 20-second rule when washing my hands, and typically wash up to the wrist. Yeah, I've made an art out of it. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Interesting, I've never thought about the lemon wedges before. I'll save the lemon water for when I'm home =)

I have a moderate case of germaphobia that has caused me to re-think some of the ways I do things these days.
I bring antibacterial wipes to the laundry mat to wipe down the folding tables before I use them, after seeing people time after time placing unwrapped food, bare feet (yuck!) and dumping out jars of quarters on them while waiting for their clothes to finish.
I may get weird looks when caught doing this, but after seeing the amount of crap on the wipes I feel better knowing I'm folding my clean clothes on a clean table.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I do that thing with a paper towel or even t.p. to grasp the door handle when leaving a restroom. It feels a little weird but I don't care.

I'm not surprised that you can catch a cold/get sick from an airplane. I blame the recirculated air they use to save money. The only people on the flight who get 100% pure air are the pilot and co-pilot.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm laughed at at work. Bathrooms just gross me out (inheirited from my mom - sisters are like this too). My bathroom routine is as follows:

Push door open with elbow;
Open stall with toe of shoe;
don't lock stall door;
take care of business;
flush toilet with foot;
open stall door with toe of shoe;
turn hot water faucet on with back of hand;
pump soap into one hand with back of other hand;
wash hands 20 seconds;
pick up paper towel and dry hands, fold towel & use it to shut off faucets, to open door & cut off light switch if I'm the only one in there & throw in the trash can that sits right at the door.

Public restrooms, I try to take my own supplies.

·
Super Moderator
20,731 Posts
No real surprises there.

I've always wondered why anyone lets their kids play with the toys at a medical clinic. Just think of the stew of germs on those things!

I usually take my Gameboy or DS and play that while I'm at the doctor's office. It takes two hands to play either of them so that helps me keep from unthinkingly touching anything. Plus they're small and convenient to carry.

I've seen a lot of people sticking utensils into stubborn bottles of catsup in restaurants, after they've eaten from the utensils. Squirt bottles should be less of a problem than the glass bottles though. I try to avoid the glass ones.

The ick factor is wonderful if you're trying to lose weight, because it helps you refrain from food samples of any kind. Until this last Christmas, our local grocery store put out their various bulk chocolate candies in open boxes. For years, the ick factor kept me from buying any, because I couldn't help but think about all the people who had sneezed and coughed over those open boxes. This year, they finally started putting plastic covers on the bulk boxes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are certain things I always clean before touching, like hotel remote controls and phones. But I stopped using antibacterial wipes and soaps and actually have gotten sick less. I think this is because your body can create stronger defenses when it is attacked by bacteria.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Shp - I use the public restrooms exactly the same way you do! :laugh:

I never thought about the lemon wedges but ya, I can see it. Gross!

We don't eat out very much ...maybe three times a year and thee are the reasons why! It just freaks me out. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I harp on my husband to not pick up stuff at the store just to look at it if he isn't going to buy it. He likes to go to the store during the holidays and see what decorations they have. During Halloween season I freak out when he reaches for the latex masks. I tell him, you know how people have picked that up and put it on there face and breathed on it!!!!

I told him he shouldn't eat from the candy jar in the office. I said "watch when you are in the bathroom how many people wash their hands before they leave". Once he started paying attention he realized that not only did some people not wash their hands, but he saw some of the the same people stick their hand in the candy jar. He won't touch it now even though he has quite a sweet tooth.

I got to the point at work that I wouldn't eat any food that I didn't bring myself. It's rare I buy out or go to a restaurant. I've felt plenty of grimy menus and condiment containers in my lifetime (shiver).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.