Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Argh! I went and met DH for lunch today because it was so nice and I just had to get out of the house. The shift cable on my wagon broke as we were leaving the restaurant. At least we were still in the parking lot. And I still have minutes on the tracfone we bought for our christmas trip.

The really annoying thing is I just had the car in not 30 days ago to have them look at the cable (among other things) because it felt funny and they assured me nothing was wrong with it. :fuming:

Now DH and I have to juggle the 2nd car the rest of the week. Argh!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Grrr, I really hate car issues.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I just got my truck running again. It has been sitting in the driveway since last March. I have been either riding my Harley or using hubby's truck when he got home. It cost less than $200 (fuel pump). I missed the old girl!

·
19,119 Posts
CH - car problems are really the pits - you do have a good attitude about what happened and yes I could have been worse - and you still have to deal with it. Good luck!!

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bummer but at least you weren't alone at night when it happened.
No kidding! It could have happened tonight, when I have to be across town for a sewing class. That would have really sucked.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Sorry to hear this but glad it happened when it happened. I'd stop by the shop that "looked" at it and tell them I'm taking this ok car to someone who knows what they are doing, but I'd try to do it when there were several people waiting to have their car serviced.:p
I'm mean like that.

Cat

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it turns out it's not the shift cable after all.... I broke the axle drive shaft, snapped it right in two! A first for me.

Yes, this is the same shop that looked at it back in Dec (and charged me) but they are very good about fixing their own mistakes. For example, it's leaking oil again, and they are going to redo the seals on that for free today. When they looked at the shift cable in Dec. and said it was fine, they were right. So I can't be mad at them any more about that.

Believe me if I thought they were scamming me or not doing the job right I would be outta there so fast, but we have used them for 10 years and they are a first rate shop. The manager always gives it to me straight and they don't mess around trying to sell me services I don't need.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Glad to know you have someone you can trust your car to. Now you won't have to be mean like me.;) It sure doesn't sound like a cheap fix. Sorry. Let us know how it goes.

Cat

·
Registered
924 Posts
I feel your pain. My car has been in and out of the shop for close to three weeks and they still don't know whats wrong with it. I hate to see what that bill is going to look like.

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got it back today. If you've ever wondered what a broken axle looks like:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Wow - that could be dangerous - you are really lucky it didn't happen on the highway!

I'm glad that you have a good shop to take your car to. I work in the shop at a car dealership and sometimes people don't realize that the mechanics can't always predict whether a car is going to have a problem. This is one of those things that no one could have looked at and saw it was going to happen.

Glad to hear you are back on the road - hope the cost was not too outrageous!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.