Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're looking for cheap options for curtains, here is a really creative & **Cheap** idea...
I love that they give the linen look but without the price tag~whew.
I paid $19.98 for 2 at Lowe's over the weekend and I've been told that they randomly go on sale for $9.98 for two.

I'm doing these in my diningroom for my VERY large window~lol

DIY Drop Cloth Curtains with a Twist

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
I'm loving this! What a GREAT no sew curtain! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I usually just use some cheap cotton cloth, but I really like those.

I might make that a project soon!

Thanks,

·
Registered
147 Posts
my mom has been doing this for YEARS!
She did them for my sister's house, and when it went under contract to sell, one of the terms set by the buyer was that the "window treatments" remain!
We had to laugh at that one!

·
8,714 Posts
~I like the look but having personally bought, washed, ironed and sewn with drop-cloth fabric I can honestly say the "cheap" price is its only virtue. It looks cheap to me and never seems to lose the manufacturing smell.
But I hope your project turns out well for you! I could have just gotten a bad batch of cloths.~

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have to try these!!!! I've been wanting a change and looking for something inexpensive. You could actually change the trim when you got tired of one look.

Also, I love fall. I wonder if I could stamp fall leaves on the drop cloths with fabric paint????

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
~I like the look but having personally bought, washed, ironed and sewn with drop-cloth fabric I can honestly say the "cheap" price is its only virtue. It looks cheap to me and never seems to lose the manufacturing smell.
But I hope your project turns out well for you! I could have just gotten a bad batch of cloths.~
I agree with you, there is defiantely a 'smell' with my drop cloths as well...I think it must be something that they treat them with, I'm not really sure.

I did wash mine twice and it did seem to help them tremendously, I've also read about people doing a bleach process as well to change the linen color to them, evidently from what I gather it gives them a more off white look as opposed to the darker tan/linen color.

There is also information floating around the web about covering furniture, making pillows, etc. with drop cloths.

Thank-you for you're input, and I hope that I'm happy with them too.
I hope that they tie in well with my relaxed/casual/rustic type theme.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A cute idea...........hope you will post pics of them when you are done!
I am planning on taking pics. of them once I get them finished.

I'm hoping to do a "before/after" pic. along with pics. of my finished farmhouse table, which we finally got the last coat of polyruethane on it last night~woohooo!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my mom has been doing this for YEARS!
She did them for my sister's house, and when it went under contract to sell, one of the terms set by the buyer was that the "window treatments" remain!
We had to laugh at that one!
Ok this is funny ^^^...I'm sure the buyer thought she was buying very expensive linen curtains~hahahha

Also, from what I'm finding out, I must be one of the last ones to hear about this idea.
I guess it's been around quite awhile in the crafting/DIY'ers circles.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to try these!!!! I've been wanting a change and looking for something inexpensive. You could actually change the trim when you got tired of one look.

Also, I love fall. I wonder if I could stamp fall leaves on the drop cloths with fabric paint????
I'm sure the stamping would work on this type of material...please, please, if you decide to do the stampwork on yours, PLEASE take some photos and share with us.
I for one, would LOVE to see how they turn out!!

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Awesome idea!! This is great for my MANY 8ft tall windows I can never find curtains long enough for. I actually turned a king size flat sheet into a curtain for our bedroom (double) window. Drop cloths would be even cheaper!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I bought two 6x9 drop cloths today. I am washing and drying them now. I looked at several examples on the net , but I am still nervous about trying this. Thanks for the idea. If it works I'll try to post pictures.

BTW, I am looking for some kind of trim, but will probably go ahead and hang them first.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
Thanks for the idea, and also nuisance's input about the smell.
I've never looked at drop cloths before, so not sure what the material is like. I'll check them out when we go looking at paint.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
O.K. I washed the drop cloths in Gain detergent and some bleach. Then dried them with 2 softener sheets. They came out soft, smelling good and looked crinkly. They do look like linen.

I hung the two 6 ft x 9 ft panels with black clip on rings. First I tried them with a folded over valance look - but I didn't like the look. My d. cloths had two un hemmed edges (the 6 ft sides). So the valance didn't look good without some kind of hem or trim.

So I just turned them around (the "valance" to the back) and hung the panels up that way. I like the plain look better.

My drop cloths also have a seam across the middle of the 9 ft. section, but it still looks ok to me.

As for trim, it would be too costly right now. I would end up needing 42 feet of trim for my 7 panels and that just defeats the purpose of being frugal. I only purchased 2 panels so far and I plan to get the other 5 tomorrow or Mon.

I am not going to stamp them right now-I'm enjoying the clean uncluttered look for now. Also, with school starting this week I just don't have time.

I'll take pictures just as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
pictures of my simple drop cloth curtains

This is my first time trying to post with pics.

·
Registered
92 Posts
NewLeaf they look great!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I like them. I think i will also be doing this.I have very large and long windows. Old victorian house. Plus they will help some with the heating bill also during the winter.Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Hmmm. I've been wanting to hang some quilted material over a big glass sliding door and another door for the winter. What impressed me was the concept of the clip rings. I had never heard of them. That's that I may be looking for! Where could I find them?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You can find the clip rings at Wmart. Just make sure they will fit over your rod.

Reactions: dcompton
1 - 20 of 22 Posts