Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to put together a scrapbook dealing with cooking and recipes in the family.

Here's what I am thinking of including:
1. treasured recipes
2. photos of family in the kitchen or gathered around the table
3. photocopies of parent's and grandparent's recipes in their own handwriting
4. stories and memories about food traditions, special occasions, etc.

Do you have any ideas for me? Ideas on how to organize it? Decorate it? What else to include?

I want this to be really special. It won't really be a cookbook that I refer back to a lot as I actually cook, but more of a memory book of our food-centered times together.

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
I want to put together a scrapbook dealing with cooking and recipes in the family.

Here's what I am thinking of including:
1. treasured recipes
2. photos of family in the kitchen or gathered around the table
3. photocopies of parent's and grandparent's recipes in their own handwriting
4. stories and memories about food traditions, special occasions, etc.

Do you have any ideas for me? Ideas on how to organize it? Decorate it? What else to include?

I want this to be really special. It won't really be a cookbook that I refer back to a lot as I actually cook, but more of a memory book of our food-centered times together.
I love this idea!!! I would do it as a regular type scrapbook. Use pretty paper, put the recipe on it with pictures, embellishments etc. You can journal up your stories and memories on it.

Here are some links:

http://scrapbooking.lovetoknow.com/Recipe_Scrapbook
http://scrapbooking.families.com/blog/give-the-gift-of-a-cookbook-treasury
http://www.scrapbookmemoriestv.com/projects/100/108_4.html

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
At one point when I was "caught up" with my other books, I was going to do this....I have every thing I need to do it, time is the issue now! However, I thought of everything that you mentioned. I also have some photos of the made recipes on our family table...holidays, etc...... If you have that, it just adds another neat dimension.....also, don;t forget the obvious: make the recipe and take a photo of it completed for the album.
have fun and let us know how it turns out!!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had another idea: I have napkins that I have saved from various events, such as showers, weddings, birthday parties, etc. Maybe I could mount them in some way, include a picture of the event, and the recipe for the punch or the mints or the cake. What do you thnk?

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Definitely!! I mounted one of our wedding napkins in our wedding album.

I love these things called 'sticky-dos'. They are like a rounded little bit of cardboard with adhesive on both sides. It gives the item a 'raised from the page' look.

There are also little glue dots that are often used to adhere ribbon and transparent items to the page that would work.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I made these for gifts. Everyone loved them. I guess this one is for yourself? I made mine like a regular cookbook. But, I used different paper. I used pictures in the book. And little notes. Like this is Aunt Rosie's favorite potato salad. Or, when I made them for my sons, I would write something like Remember when we made this for Thanksgiving every year? Your pictures and or momentos would be nice in it. It could be like a scrapbook/cookbook. My nephew when he got married I made him and his new bride a cookbook, I used family favorites in it. I also put handy tips in it. Things that some new brides or my sons wouldn't know. I think a cookbook/scrapbook would be a great gift to give myself. Hope you enjoy it. I always enjoyed making them as much as I enjoyed giving them. Gail

·
Registered
900 Posts
I scrapbooked my most used and favorite recipes to match my kitchen colors and laminated them so that they wouldn't get splattered or wet. I want to hang them around the kitchen as decorations, but I haven't gotten that part done yet. I have a binder of collected recipes and internet printouts and right now the dozen that I scrapbooked are just in the front of the binder so they will be handy. It is things like chocolate chip cookies, brownies, bread, no bake cookies, pizza crust, dumplings etc. Some I have memorized and others I glance at or have a moment of is it baking soda or baking powder? If it is not a baking type recipe I usually just wing it.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great ideas! Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts