Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I will load it all in one thread LOL...

My MIL bought us 7 chicks....which I know will become stinky chickens LOL. I would love any tips from ppl who have chickens and keep them for eggs. We are going to build a coop. What do I need to know on taking care of them?

Garden...I only am able to plant a few things this year b/c we just moved in and we don't have hte time to do a big garden. We put in tomatoes, peppper, watermelon, herbs, strawberrties and I can't remember what else. I have a wheelbarrow that I filled with potting soil. I would love to put something else in it that I can use...any thoughts?

Last but not least...my inlaws gave us a rice cooker/steamer and I don't know what to do iwth the thing. I was told that I put water and rice and veggies on top and cook for an hour. Anyone know anything about these or recipes? I lost the manual...since we got the cooker while we were moving. (It might turn up in a few weeks LOL)

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
as for the chickens i would suggest doing a search here and at homestead garden for chicken related topics. A few of our members and sister site members have chicks or "chooks" (please, please, let me have said that right!!). I myself have posted here and found all kinds of information about them through these searches.

Also Homestead Garden will have ideas on planting and gardening too. But if it were me, i'd use the wheelbarrow garden as a herb garden. :)

i know nothing at all about rice cookers although i'd love to eventually get one!!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
i'd either plant herbs or lettuce in the wheelbarrow.
i'm no help with the other questions though.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I love my chickens, garden & rice cooker (Krupps).

I'll have to search for the link, but one of the best articles I found about chickens, bedding & stink...was in a countryside article. I believe I do have the link to the authors site where you can read the article on line.

I write about my chickens often in my blog & like Missy said you can find a lot on line. It's important for your chickens to have a dry place w/dirt so they can 'dust bathe', this keeps the bugs off of them. There's different types of feed, I'm feeding mine egg layer & scratch grains. I let them out often to free range. they've done a lot of prep work in the garden this year.

It's also important that they have a safe, secure place to be locked in at night. They need roosts & nest boxes in their coop, I use oat straw for bedding because I can barter for it. The run is the fenced in area around the coop. that needs to be dry too. You'll have a lot of fun checking out the coops & runs others have designed & built. We turned a small tool shed into the coop, built a run on the outside of it. We had to put the chickens 6 hens, 1 roo in just one night. After that, at dusk every night, if they were free ranging out of the run, they'd go home to roost themselves into the coop. the girls always go to lay their eggs in the nest boxes during the day.

What kind of chickens did you get?

What to grow? That's individual. I use lots of basil to make pesto to freeze so I grow a lot of that. Parsley & cilantro are some other favorite herbs.
I depend on my wheel barrow for work all year so I wouldn't plant in it. Flowers cascading over the side would be pretty.

You can probably get a new manual for your rice cooker if you can contact the company, again, check on line. You'll probably be succesfull.

Good luck with your adventures. there's nothing like picking your own fresh veggies & eggs & having chicken friends to help you in the garden!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for the info.

I am going to read that article now. I am not sure what kind of chicks they are. Right now we have htem in a dog kennel with chicken wire around it and newspaper on the bottom. We have three horse stalls and going to close one in for the coop and run.

I might just do flowers in the wheelbarrow. I took an old bath tub and stocked it with herbs. The Wheelbarrow is an old antique one that I found in the shed....there were lots of old things in this house when took possession of it.

·
27,948 Posts
Lol, what model/make of rice cooker do you have?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
feed them crack corn and make sure they have plenty of clean water to drink. when they get big enough to lay eggs build them some laying boxes and keep a good bed of straw in the boxes.
Alos compost your chicken manure and use on your garden next fall.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Rice cooker is really easy. Pour in your rice (maybe 2 inches). Add water until it is about 1/2 inch on top of rice (so if you had 2 inches of rice, your water would be 2 and 1/2 inches). Cook.

If rice is dry, next time add a little more water. If it's too sticky/wet, next time add less.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts