Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever heard of this or have experience with creating one and using it?

I'm following a book called "Imagine BIG" by Terri Savelle Foy. She is a Christian writer who advocates creating and maintaining an ongoing list of goals and dreams in a Dream Book, complete with photos to motivate you. Already I've come across some interesting ideas I'd like to try.

Funny, when I started the book I was cynical and a bit skeptical, because I thought I'd done everything I wanted to do in life. But it turns out there are a few loose ends yet I'd like to wrap up.

So I actually started a Dream Book today. I'm just wondering how to use it. But I guess that's what the rest of the book is about. Also wondering if anyone around here has gone through this process before?

·
8,714 Posts
~No but you've piqued my interest. I just downloaded the e-book from my library.

I never liked the idea of a goal board(most of these things are bulletin board set-ups)when I was younger. But now that I'm older and have much more to do(and much more distractions), it seems like a good idea to have a private place to to put it all.

I've been using the FlyLady's Control Journal set-up for this purpose for a few years now, but writing out lists mostly. It's not pretty or inspirational and I barely reference it. I could definitely use a better system.

I'll read the book and check back.~

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Nuisance. I spent some time yesterday adding photos to my dream book of my goals/dreams. It was harder than I thought to find images. I resorted to googling images and printing off the Net.

I also realized a lot of my goals and dreams have to do with teaching, but I do not have a teacher's certificate. I'm 57 years old. Who is going to hire a 60 year old teacher by the time I get a degree? And DH is certainly not going to condone paying for it from what he views as his funds. He did condone taking "some courses". But that's as far as he'd go. So I looked online for free courses and found some through our library for tutoring. I prefer one-on-one teaching anyways, so I signed up for a teaching K-3 writing class. I am currently tutoring grade 1 and 2 students, so it will be immediately applicable.

One thing I find interesting is just writing the dreams/goals down makes you go through the paces and decide what the next step is in your goal/dream. The Gale courses are free through our library. I found about 28 I'm interested in! I think my problem is going to be narrowing my interests.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nuisance, she also suggests a vision board, but I'm skipping that because I've got one for my business already and I prefer something more private. No joking or negative comments from people if it's private.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finished "Imagine BIG!". Some of it seems a bit hokey, but it's generally a good read. I am also watching her YouTube podcasts. I've narrowed my 25 dreams down to 10 for this year. I haven't got much time left! Even now, some of the 10 have to be narrowed down further.

I wrote affirmations relating to those dreams, and I made a list of courses to take to further my dreams and goals. I'm almost finished reading the first book for my teaching K-3 writing course. I'm using some of the ideas with my tutoring students.

I made the mistake of showing my Dream Book to DH as part of a discussion on when he should retire. He just laughed and said he'd have to work till he was 75 for all of my dreams to be met. I told him he missed the point. I was the one who was going to be working. He laughed at that too. Brat! I pointed out to him that two more tutoring students would mean about $750/mth. in income, which translates into $9000/year. Plus the $9000 from the boarder. Plus whatever my rug hooking brings in. We're looking at $25,000/year extra income. That's nothing to sneeze at!

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drat! Found out my tutoring students will be gone for the summer to China. Means two months without income from them. Ah well. We'll see how this pans out. I have more than one iron in the fire. :) I will take that time to study instead. :)

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to sign up for two Gale courses through our public library. They are free if you sign up through the library. One is Teaching Writing: K-3, and the other is Keys to Effective Communication, with a lesson on dealing with children. They start mid-May and go till the end of June. I am hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew! If I do okay with these I'll take a couple more courses while the boys are gone this summer.

I am currently reading an e-book on life coaching that is a bit weird for me. It refers to Mother Earth and drawing energy from our relationship with her. I think I got the wrong material for me. Good thing it was only $17 for 3 e-books. Doesn't hurt to explore a different side of the coaching field I guess.

I looked at the 25 goals and dreams I concocted the other day and narrowed it down to 10 for this year. So I'm working on those now. I feel like I'm playing catch-up in some areas. Like I've really let myself fall way behind. But, better late than never! It doesn't hurt to use my brain cells to learn new things related to my interests.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had a call from the Terri Savelle Foy ministries team in Texas! What a surprise! I had signed up to her website and gave them my phone number apparently. I also purchased some material. The lady on the other end only wanted to find out where I was at and pray for me.

So I told her I was in the process of writing my goals for the rest of this year, after having read Imagine BIG. We chatted a bit, she said a prayer, we chatted some more, and I let her go. It's got to cost to phone from there to Canada. She said it was a toll free line, but still, someone has to pay for it sometime! She invited me to call them anytime on the toll free line if I needed help or prayer.

The thing that struck me was that never once did she mention money or me giving them a donation or anything like that. Which means at some point I'm more likely to donate or purchase more material.

I was impressed.

I've also been rewriting my goals to be more realistic for the rest of this year.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
A lot of cell phone services include free long distance across the US and Canada.

I never give out my phone number when I order stuff, and now you know why. :) Among other reasons. Glad you enjoyed the call though.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SD, normally I don't either. But this one had the phone number asterixed (??) and, as I recall, it turned a nice shade of red when I tried to go on without it. Otherwise I would not have included it either. Guess I should have put in a fictitious one?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I usually use our area code and then all zeroes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. We have an unlisted number and never get sales calls. That's why. Nobody gets our phone number unless they have a real need. I hate phone calls. And they always seem to come when I'm in the middle of something. Then again, I usually am in the middle of something. :D

Found a new knitting pattern for another angel baby gown. Maybe it won't be as obnoxious as the pattern I've been dealing with. I only have the skirt left on that one and then it's going into the recycle box. :( Life's too short and there are too many good patterns to keep being aggravated by a bad one.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I go back and forth on dreams and goals a lot.

A big part is whether something falls in the dream category or the “it would be nice” category. Dreams generally take a time, effort and money. The question is whether the dream is really worth it or not. For example, I would like to be able to make realistic drawings. But I am not sure if I really want it enough to spend the time it would take to get to that level. There is also the frustration factor as well. You need to make a lot of bad drawings before you are capable of a good drawing.

These books often say things like “you have to really want it.” I am just not sure if I have anything that rises to that level.

I generally tend to tend to go for small dreams, things that require only a medium amount of time and effort. For example, sometime this year, I would like to make a jointed teddy bear. I can picture a motivational speaker yelling at me “dream bigger, dream bigger.”

When I retire – not any time soon – I may take on some bigger projects.

There is also the secret list of things I would spend money on if I had more money. Nothing on the list is motivating enough for me to sacrifice the thing I spend my money on now.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had to smile when I read your post Kathy. This lady starts out with dream BIG, but then she encourages you to start with small goals to reach the bigger dreams. So by the time I revised my goals list (numerous times) for the rest of this year, I had nothing resembling my Dreams list on it.

I find my challenge to be money and energy. I have time, but rarely the other two. She asks you to consider how badly you want your dream and what you are willing to give up for it. Those are hard questions for me. I don't want anything bad enough to make myself sick again.

Plus I have another half in a relationship with me who does not often see the need to dream...big or otherwise. He just doesn't plan ahead. He lets life happen to him. Management by crisis when in crisis. Actually, he leaves it for me to deal with. We move from one crisis to another. I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle just to write positive affirmations about my life, let alone to dream some nice things into our lives! But I am determined to do what I can do to help good things happen. I can control me and my life. So that's what I'm focusing on.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I have problems with the whole "how much are you willing to sacrifice" thing. That idea has come up in a lot of books.

Do I sacrifice things that make me happy and relaxed? Do I make my life less happy and more stressful to pursue the dream?

I would rather have a balanced life.

I would rather find dreams I can go after that fit with my life.

Energy is probably the biggest thing for me. When I try to do too many projects or too many improvements at one time it, it starts to fall apart.

Being half of a couple is also a big thing these books seem to ignore. It is not an issue for me to spend $50 for some art supplies. However, some big dreams affect your finances in a really major way. Those will affect your partner, sometimes in a negative way. And that is not even including things like relocating or taking trips.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Precisely Kathy. Though I must admit, Terri Savelle Foy is more balanced than most of the Success proponents I've listened to. She advocates exercise, eating a healthy breakfast, making time for friends and down time...which is more than I can say for some of them. She also advocates the usual have a clear goal, be focused, be disciplined, etc.

I've axed out all the dreams that require DH's approval to move forward. And I've axed out any dreams that would require the use of "his" money. I will only use my own money on my dreams and goals. Then there's no stress over worrying if DH will support me or pull the rug out from under my feet when I'm already committed and on my way with something. Thankfully DH hasn't insisted on my income being put into the joint family account...yet. It isn't enough to attract his interest yet either.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Most of the money is counting as our money. It all goes into a joint account.

Large purchases we discuss together, but smaller purchases we can just buy without talking to the other person first. It is a little more detailed that, but the exact dollar amounts are not really important.

Also, if I get a bonus at work that it all mine. I usually get a bonus each year for scoring high on my yearly performance review.

I generally have enough money to get all the art supplies and craft supplies I want.

I have been thinking about the whole art thing. I think instead of trying to learn a realistic style of drawing, I may try learning folk art. Doing a good realistic drawing can take lots of training and practice. I am not sure I could achieve it with the amount of time I would have available to practice it. But folk art is simpler. I feel like it might be something I could learn over a few years, even if I only had a few hours a week to devote to it.

From folk art, I might move look into other types or art that are more stylized and simple. In other words, art that is easier than realistic art.

Maybe something like this lady:

Mary Engelbreit Studios, Licensed Art Studio, St Louis, Missouri

And by that time, I would be about at retirement age. So I could study art full time. If I still wanted to do something more realistic.

But backing up a little bit, right now I am exploring doodling. I am studying about info doodling and visual learning. This is about using doodling when you are taking notes. These are not just random doodles, but doodles designed to enhance your notes. It helps memory and learning to use color and pictures and different lettering styles. I am doing this as kind of an "extra credit" thing at work. So the next year or two will be doodle school/visual learning school.

Then after that, it will be a few years for folk art.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used to doodle with mind maps...pictures plus mind map. Easier to remember things then.

I'm not sure folk art is any easier Kathy. It's just different. You have to really know your colours, values, and design. Still, it's true that realistic painting takes a lot of time and effort. I never really liked realistic art much. I naturally gravitate towards folk art and abstract art. It's fun! But it also challenges and stretches your imagination.

I've been preparing for my teaching course. I've read 2 1/2 books out of 5 for the class. The class starts tomorrow. I've already been using ideas from the books with the boys I tutor, with good success I might add. :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts