Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some dried beans that I'd like to put into my stockpile. Should I freeze my beans first to kill off any insects prior to storage?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
no. i use empty #10 cans with lids. they never get buggy.

Reactions: pollypurebred39

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I have frozen beans when I feel like I should. Go ahead and freeze them. Then take them out. Let them defrost then store in a good airtight container. Might as well take the extra time to make sure you do not get bugs in your stockpile. I have yet to have any bug problem.

I also put a couple of bay leaves on the shelves. This is supposed to help keep bugs away. I do use mason jars to store many items. This probably helps.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
No I never freeze my beans, I just store in gallon glass containers or 5 gallon buckets. If in small packages you can keep them in their original packages , then put into bucket.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. They are in their original bags. At this moment the best container I have is a tidy cats litter pail, it will have to do.

Do you think I should put a bay leaf in the bucket? Would it impart flavor to the beans?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Thanks for the advice. They are in their original bags. At this moment the best container I have is a tidy cats litter pail, it will have to do.

Do you think I should put a bay leaf in the bucket? Would it impart flavor to the beans?
I don't think it would impart flavor though I don't for my beans. Never had a bug issue with them.

·
Registered
221 Posts

I would worry more about the litter scent (if it's scented) than the bay leaf scent.

That said, I'm not sure a litter pail is food safe. Food Grade Plastic Containers For Brining - The Virtual Weber Bullet

I would err on the side of caution and not use it to store food.

Edited to add: These sites should help you find some solutions: http://providentliving.org/content/list/0,11664,7448-1,00.html
http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/PFSFAQ/PFSFAQ-1.html

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frugrrl, Thank you for the links, I found them very useful. The cat litter imparting fragrance never crossed my mind. Turns out I didn't use the litter pail, but a 5 gallon bucket. I'll save the litter pail for a nonfood stockpile item.

Palooka, I've always used glass myself, but since I plan on storing a hundred plus pounds of white beans I thought a hundred plus jars would be a bit much. I could just see my MIL's face if she came into butlers pantry and was faced with a wall of beans in glass jars. LOL!

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Hey, you never know. Your MIL might be impressed if she saw all those bean jars starring at her. :laugh:

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL! She'd think we went off the deep end!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.