Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad users.

HeyWire is an application that allows for you to send free text messages around the world. It assigns you a phone number that's usable for this service. The entire application is, well, free. There's no gimmicks or tricks to it.

You can find the application here:

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/heywire-free-texting-u-s-worldwide/id383949089?mt=8

This is for people without a cell phone but have any Apple product. It's also for those who do have an iPhone but do not want to pay extra for any texting services.

I tested it out last night and it's fantastic! It works like a chat program (sort of like Yahoo Messenger or Windows Live Messenger) and is totally customizable. You can set your own signature that people will see when they receive your texts, text all of your friends with your new number or even integrate it with Facebook (more chat programs will be added later).

Search for HeyWire in the Free Apps section of either iTunes or the App Store on your iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
is this more like IM'ing or texting ?
i wonder if this works like a cell in the way of say i am late picking up from school and i want to text my son and say i will be late his ipod is off- if he turns it on after school will he have a mailbox with a text ??
just thinking a second hand ipod touch may be cheaper than a cell plan when he is the only one at that school next year i need some way to get in touch with him if i need to ( dont trust calling the school when its busy times like end of day you get the VM alot )

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It works just like texting. The texts do show up on one whole page, though, so it sort of works like IMing too. You don't need to log into the program to receive the texts, so it works more like having a cell phone.

The only drawback is that you need constant Wi-Fi access for it to work.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The only drawback is that you need constant Wi-Fi access for it to work.>>

UGH duh on me forgot about wi fi .
- oh well - think i may be shopping the pay per min phone plans as we already have 5 on our verizon plan and they only let you have 5 on a family plan which i think is discrimatory to large families- buts thats another post LOL !

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I still have my plan that comes with unlimited text messaging because even though I live in a huge city, not everyone has Wi-Fi yet. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.