Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/german-grocery-chain-power-cripple-145958412.html

The German supermarket chain Lidl is gearing up to open 100 stores across the East Coast by mid 2018, with the first 20 stores opening this summer in Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

The chain plans to eventually open as many as 600 stores in the US, according to a copy of a company presentation obtained by Business Insider. Lidl currently has 10,000 stores in 27 European countries.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
We have both Aldi (which is much different than in the US) and Lidl in Denmark and of all of the supermarkets, including the Danish ones, Lidl is my favorite! I only wish they'd open one in the city.

However, I don't know that it can compete with Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. It's a different offering aimed at a different demographic.

Reactions: NikoSan999

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I am not sure they can take much from Whole Foods. A lot of the people who shop there (at least in this town) avoid anything labeled "discount", but I have read that Trader Joe's is hurting them. Lidl looks like it is going to be a rival to Trader Joes in the US, more upscale than Aldi.

I wonder what they hope to gain in an already competitive East coast market and if they will ever make it inland. There are places here in the plains where they could put a small store and instantly have 99% of the market.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'm just hoping that some of the products they develop to take on Trader Joe's make it to the Denmark stores. I see Trader Joe's at Aldi from time to time, but it's never the stuff I'm hoping to see.

It might prove to be a mistake trying to enter the East coast market. A successful Danish grocery chain (Netto) tried to make it in the UK and had to close up shop. Lidl however seems to have succeeded. They have great (German) pretzels in the bakery case, so there's that...

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
I agree whole foods and trader joes are one market level-not mine
And Aldis and its seems Lidl are another. I for one wish we would get it but we never get anything until it does well everywhere else.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
I'm good with Aldi's for the most part but can never remember to go there. When I'm doing major type errands/shopping etc I start on one side of the road and work up. Then on the other side of the road coming back. Aldis is on the "way back" so I've already got most of what I want or need. Truthfully a lot of times I don't even remember it's there. Milk and eggs are cheaper there but a lot of other stuff is hit or miss whether they even have it.
The one in the article... I'd go and try it... look around and price check but the odds of it coming close enough to go to aren't great. We just got the Aldis a couple years ago. Three max. But I'm up to a new store especially if it's on the cheap/decent quality side. Also I'm a big BOGO person especially if I can use coupons to boot. Aldis kind of doesn't work with coupons or BOGOs so it kind of evens out

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have my choice of two Aldi's nearby, I wish TJ's were closer. Still, TJ's is closer than Whole Foods so I go to TJ's a lot more. One of the few reasons I go to WF anymore is for the fresh bread and baked goods. I'm thinking if the Lidl baked goods are fresh and half as good as they look they will kill WF. WF doesn't actually bake their bread, they get it pre-baked and frozen and just warm it up in the store. There's a dearth of good bakeries around here, most places just have a few cupcakes or cookies.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I've read about Aldi's since I joined these forums, but never saw one in all our travels. But one is open in Grand Rapids now. Sometime we'll stop in and have a look. GR is 120 miles away but we do get over there sometimes. We're curious about that store now because we're thinking about retiring to GR someday. We already like the Cub Foods there, and we even like the Walmart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts