Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts

Photo by izik

Save your orange peels and create a wonderfully thrifty, immune-boosting bath. You see, vitamin C (which oranges are full of) is one of the few vitamins that can be absorbed through your skin. The vitamin C from the peels not only benefits your immune system and helps fight off illness, but it’s also great for your skin. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) acts as an anti-oxidant which fights skin-damaging free radicals, and promotes collagen production (which is also good for your skin, organs, bones, teeth, etc.). To make this vitamin C bath just make sure that you wipe the orange peels clean before putting them into the bath. You don’t want any pesticides floating around in the water with you! That’s it; just draw a warm bath and chuck in your orange peels.

Reusing what you already have, in ways that will further enrich your life, is what being thrifty is all about!

Thrifty Sister

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
I also make candied orange peel with them sometimes.

Reactions: georgiamom

·
19,119 Posts
I knew I was saving the orange peels for something!! Mahalo for the great ideas!!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I also make candied orange peel with them sometimes.
I heard about this before, care to share your recipe? I think it's a great idea. I used to go out with a guy that ate the rinds, but they weren't candied.

As far as the skin benefits go, I believe it and I'd love to fomulate some kind of facial. Hmmm! I gotta get my thinking cap on. I'm sure there's some kinda mixtue I can come up with. I love using natural products on my face. :uhh:

Theresa :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thank you for all the great tips.
I have plenty of home grown oranges & I eat at least 1 orange a day.
Now I feel bad I just threw all those peels to the recycle bin. But well, never too late... LOL I'll start to save some peels tomorrow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hmmnn... nice one, I really think my sister will like to learn this one on her addiction in recycling things or something.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
For candied orange peel you need to save the zest... just the orange part. Use a very sharp knife to scrape or cut away the white pith.

Slice the peels into strips and cook them in simple syrup... 1 part water and 1 part sugar. Cook on a low simmer until the strips start to look translucent. Remove, roll in sugar, and place them on a plate to dry.

Now you can use them in all kinds of baked goods. Chop them up to add to recipes, or use them to decorate the tops.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was also told that you could use them to train a cat to keep them off of furniture or any place that you might not want the cat to play. Just place the peels on the area while still damp and it cause the cats noses to be irritated and they will learn that is not a place for them. Just like using hot sauce for a training aid. It is humane and cost friendly.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Yeow.........and if you have had to buy any zest lately you will quickly go back home and start 'zesting' every orange/lemon/lime that crosses your counter!!

Just had to buy some lemon zest.........YEOW!! :yikes: $$$$$

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another great use for orange peels

Here's another good tip for reusing your orange peels:

Remove food odors from your microwave without the use of toxic, expensive cleaning products.

The next time you’re eating oranges, save a couple of peels and pop them straight into your microwave. Microwave the peels for approximately one minute and the smell of leftover stew, onion soup, spaghetti sauce, or whatever it was that stunk up your microwave, will have disappeared.

Reuse or re-purpose what you already have: this is the key to frugal living.

Thrifty Sister

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
Soaking in an orange peel bath....mmmmm, sounds delightful Thanks for this suggestion, I'm definitely going to give it a try!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I love to add dried orange peel when I brew a cup of tea but use saved citrus zest to add to compound butters, marinades, scones and veggies basically add it as needed to jazz things up.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts

Remove food odors from your microwave without the use of toxic, expensive cleaning products.

The next time you’re eating oranges, save a couple of peels and pop them straight into your microwave. Microwave the peels for approximately one minute and the smell of leftover stew, onion soup, spaghetti sauce, or whatever it was that stunk up your microwave, will have disappeared.

Reuse or re-purpose what you already have: this is the key to frugal living.

Thrifty Sister

And on this note too, if you fill a peel, from a whole half of an orange with salt, it's supposed to absorb household odors.

Theresa :)

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
What wonderful new ideas to try!!!!

I usually dry mine out and crumble it into, well into crumbs, and use it when I cook, such as in the sweet pie crust I just made at Easter for the Grain Pie. In the winter I love boiling them with cinnamon on the stove for them smell.

·
Registered
645 Posts

Just tried this with lemon peel - worked pretty well. When I was done microwaving I took the lemon slice and rubbed it around my sink - fresh smelling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts