Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to own a homestead. Build everything from scratch, grow my own food, live simpler and be more self sufficent. I have wanted to do this since I was little, but never really thought it was possible. Well it's gotten to the point where I don't care if it's possible, I'm going for it.

The boyfriend is on board with me on everything except building the house from scratch. But I'm working on him haha. He's already a farmer and has helped me with some skills I'll need, but I still need to learn so much.

I currently still live with my parents (I'm only 20) and will continue to until my debt is paid off. But while living there I'm going to be learning new skills and trying to be more frugal in preperation for this adventure. At the boyfriends farm I have 11 chickens, that I love to death. I plan on getting more though. I also want goats, and he has Beef cattle there. Those will basically be the animals we'll have at the homestead. I had a garden last year that went really well and have made a bigger one for this year.

But now I'm just rambling haha. Basically I'll be writing here with my progress, and how everything is coming along!

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
Good luck! You have a great start on your bf's farm. You are quite young so will have no problem getting there. Will enjoy reading about your progress! :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Looks like you've got a good start & lots of determination!
I look forward to read your homesteading adventures.

I've been studying goats myself & wondering if I can have a few on just an acre. Haven't quite decided yet. We'd have to invest in some good fencing & the work to get it up ourselves. Our chicken coops were mostly from salvaged materials. One was actually given to us & a fiasco to transport!

How are you keeping your chickens in water during the cold weather? that is the biggest chore over winter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys!

Redmaples- Right now my chickens are in the barn, underground in a sense. The barn was built on a hill. They have 3 stone walls, but even with that it gets cold. So I have straw built up on the open side to keep most of the draft out.

I haven't read much about goats, but get a lot of info from the dairy goat farm down the street. We're friends with them so they give us advise/will be selling us goats when we want them.

·
Registered
904 Posts
you know the chickens are or eating, right?

Good luck! I am right there with you, but need to get some things out of the way so I can start saving for the land.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Check out the links I sent on the other thread. Good luck. I will be reading your posts updating us on this venture. Hope all turns out as you wish.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Wow that's sounds like a great adventure for you & your BF! I would be interested on reading your blog. I'm sure you will learn lots too enjoy it! Good luck. Are you going to build a log cabin and have a composting toilet?

·
19,119 Posts
What great opportunities are there for you!! So glad that you are pursuing your dream!! Like all the others, I am looking forward to following your journey!!

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Reactions: MakeADollarHollar

·
Registered
948 Posts
Kerjack- it's so nice to see younger people on here! There aren't many of us! I'm 23. I have much the same dream as you. It is a long term goal but I can't wait to build a nice simple farmhouse or receive my grandmothers. Good luck with your goal keep us updated! I can't wait to read your journey!

·
Registered
900 Posts
So lucky, I hadn't even heard of homesteading until I was 30! Now I'm 32 and starting up some urban homesteading by myself on my little city lot.

·
Moderator aka AmyBob
12,040 Posts
You've got the drive, and as far as I'm concerned, that's half the battle!!!

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
948 Posts
How's your homestead dreams coming along?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so here is an update.

I'm no longer living in town, but I still don't have a job. I'm sort of one step closer to living the homesteading life as I am living on a farm!

Me and the boyfriend are living on his father's farm. Which is literally diagonally across from the farm the bf is renting off his Grandpa. My chickens are also on his Grandpa's farm. Basically were using this as a starter (well I just am as the bf has lived here for the past 2 years). I have jobs that would be similar to the jobs I'd have if we had our own homestead. I cook, clean, do the morning chores, do laundry, then I have some options I can do my own thing like sew, knit, etc. Or sometimes I have to go split wood, clean out the barn yard, etc.

We're trying to only go into town about once a week if we can. So far it's been going good and I'm loving it. Except for the fact that I don't have a job. Which I really amin desperate need of. So I have been looking everywhere. I'm really hoping to get a job on a farm around here so I can get extra experience and such.
But yeah. That's my update for now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts