Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards not having a garden this year, only flower gardens. I so want to enjoy the summer, work at having great flowerbeds and not having to work weeding the garden the whole summer. Its such a huge job and I'm not sure I'm up to it this year.

I'm 99% sure that I won't. I've talked this over with dh and he supports me fully.

I do want to plant more raspberry bushes, more strawberries and a few more fruit trees.

There is a large organic gardening place in the city where dh works that I can get most of my veggies and also a small farmer's market where I can get the rest.

Has anyone else thought about not doing a garden this year? Or have you done it in years past? Have you regretted it if you didn't plant one?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I dont know that I regret it, but it is a LOT of work, thats for sure, I can see how you would want to lighten your work load.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
I think you honestly have to do what is in your heart .....you have access to organic gardening and a farmer's market and in season produce is very reasonable so you are lucky that way!! Tomatoes for sauce, cucumbers for pickles, just think, you can just go pick them up and "make away"!! You will still have your "fruits" and would be able to enjoy your flowers. Vegetable gardens ARE alot of work.

I am having one for sure but do understand where you are coming from. Mine seem to get bigger and bigger every year and do take alot of my time. I enjoy the bounty and since we are getting into market gardening (small scale for now) I have to plant, plant, plant away.................:tom: :carrot: :apple:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I have not had one the last several years and I miss it. I plan a small to medium garden this year, as money permits. I don't do well with veggie seeds so buy the plants. Some day i will have a small green hosue and start seeds in there! Maybe that will help!

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
If you feel you don't want to and won't regret it .. then don't do it...... You know what's est for you ....... they are a lots of work....

·
Tina Bob
1,591 Posts
I say follow your heart. You know what's best for yourself.

I used to have a medium size garden but I had to stop gardening because of health reasons. I'm allergic to almost everything outside. :(

I stopped gardening completely for a few years to get my allergies under control. For the last two years I have started up again just having a small container garden on my sundeck. I seem to be able to take care of it quite well and it satisfies my desire for at least some stuff.

Is it really a big loss not to put in a garden? You can still get fresh veggies at the farmer's market. Don't feel guilty for taking the year off to simplify your life. Enjoy yourself; you deserve it!

·
Spendthrift Guru aka KarlaBob
1,479 Posts
I also have decided to forgo the garden this year....last years crop was a joke.....and I want to be able to go camping and not spend all my time pulling weeds...oh by the way that is where my weeds are the thickest..

·
27,948 Posts
The one year I didn't have a garden was very relaxing.
no weeding
no having to eat squash,etc. NOW because it's out of control
no I have to get home to water
no regrets when something didn't perform as planned

Dh is the one who really wants a veggie garden, I like to flower garden. Nice that you have a wonderful farmers market near you CJ. They usually have wonderful prices on produce especially if you buy in bulk to freeze or can. I love the variety they sell and seems like they often have things I've never tried. Nice to support friendly hard working folks who produce good stuff too.:)
Good luck & enjoy whatever decision you make.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Maybe you could just go smaller and skip the high maintainance vegees like peas and green beans.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
CJ, I only had a garden the first year we moved in here, 15 years ago. It was a TOTAL flop!! ;(

So now I go to local farms that you can "Pick Your Own". It is even cheaper than farmers markets and you and the kids can have a fun day out!

Good luck with whatever you decide! :)

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
We aren't planting a garden this year either, just flower gardens. Last year the grasshoppers took over and no matter what we did we couldn't get rid of them. I am scared it will happen again this year, so we have decided not to plant any vegetables.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I have been thinking about this also, CJ. My gardens have never been big, but I always found it extra work, with all I have to do in the summers, with the boys...

Like many have said, listen to your heart...I'm trying to listen to mine.;) We can always encourage local farmers and buy our vegtables there.:)

Lucie

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
if you dont want to garden this year dont..i plan on doing container gardening and will see how well that will go..just lettece and tomatos..maybe u could do the same thing....just do a few

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm doing a container garden too, I just can't handle a big garden with my arthritis. Maybe you could find a few spots for a couple pots of tomatoes or lettuce so you could still have a few homegrown veggies to care for and enjoy. Or I've seen where people add a veggie here and there to their flower beds, a tomato plant here, a head of cabbage there, etc.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
do what will make your life easier. since you have access to great produce through the farmers market, etc, don't feel guilty about not having a veggie garden. you can get good veggies from the farmers market and help out local farmers to boot.
if you start to miss it early on in the season, slip a few plants in with your flowers or try containers. i did really well with my tomatoes in containers last summer.
this year it looks like we will be moving at the end of june so no point in a garden for me. but at least the area we are looking to move to has some farmer's markets i can shop.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
I have to say that although I love the pickins I would not have a garden if dh didn't do it! I really hate to spend all my time working, when it's sooooooo pretty and there are other things I'd rather be doing. I'm getting very lazy in my old age. :toothy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts