Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after another huge fight with my teenage daughter, I had just about had it. Her attitude has been worse, since she wrecked our car. She goes on and on about how we don't let her make decisions, she's old enough to do what she wants, and she plans on moving out the second she turns 18. So, I decided to try a little reverse psychology. I was all ready when she came home from school last Friday. I told her that her dad and I discussed it, and we were very tired of her attitude. I said that she was right, she was old enough to make her own decisions and that we agreed she could move out when she turned 18 (July 21st this summer). I said this all very calmly and kind of like I was telling her good news (after all she had been threatening to do this for months). You should have seen the look on her face. And then I just cheerfully walked out of the room.

Well, yesterday, on my dresser was a letter. A 3 page letter front and back! My goodness...it was like a different child. She said that she loves us, and she needs her family. She is not ready to be out on her own, she needs our guidance. She will follow all our rules because we know what is best. She wants us to give her another chance, she knows it will be hard because she has been so deceitful and told so many lies in the past. And she wants a better relationship with me!

She has been so quiet and sweet since last Friday. She has even been nice to her sisters! Now, I know this probably won't last, but I'm going to enjoy it while it's here!

Pam

·
27,948 Posts
Pam, this being a parent stuff sure is tricky. I hope her change of heart is a new start for all of you.:heartsm:

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
I am glad to hear that it worked. Enjoy the peace while you can. Let's hope it lasts forever, but with teenagers you can never tell when they will change again.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Thats great, Pam. Hope it all works out for you guys. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Scrappy, my dad packed a "hobo stick" for my 6yo brother when he threatened to run away from home and even walked him to the curb. He told him to be careful and come back home when he was ready to "be a good boy".

Btw, he lasted about 45 minutes and came home very contrite.

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Wonderful news Pam!! It is so hard isn't it? I hope your daughter realizes how good she has it! It is amazing once they start figuring out the cost of everything living on their own as well as Mom isn't around to do laundry, make meals etc.........:smball:

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Pam, just take it one day at a time........ I hope she is consistent in her behavior, but a consistent teenager ? It may be too much to hope for ..... Take it where you can !!!!!!!!!!

Jenlee, we must have grown up in the same house. My Dad packed one of those for me when I threatened to run away at 6, red hanky and all, he packed me a peanut butter sandwich for the road and a clean pair of socks, he said I'd need em....... LOL

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Let's just hope it lasts a while. DS threatened us the other day that he couldn't wait to move out. So we did much the same thing and offered to fly him to the destination of his choice once he turns 18 (5 years and 1 day). Shortly after that he was in tears telling us that he really loved us and that if WE really wanted him to leave then he would! Talk about reverse psychology. We then softly reminded him it was his choice not ours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, I sure hope it lasts! I have to keep that approach in mind next time my oldest starts up. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
That's wonderful! I really hope she makes the effort to get along with everyone. Sometimes it takes a push like that to make them see things are really better than they think.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Way to go mom!! Maybe now she'll she how her attitude affects everyone in the whole family and will be more considerate to everyone.

My 3 year old is ready to take on the world- I wish some psychology like that would work- maybe in 10 years LOL!!

Laura

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, so far so good! She is still acting like a completely different person. She's been doing all kinds of little things around the house, cleaning up and straightening up. She has been actually fun and pleasant! I can't remember the last time she was pleasant to anyone in the family, maybe when she was 11!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts