Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does military disability give extra for a non custodial child but will not send money to DHS for child support?

I could understand not sending child support if the solder didn't get extra for that child but why give them more for a child they don't support financially?

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Ansley, I didn't know the answer to this question, so I googled military disability and child support.

After wading through some pages that didn't really apply, I found this website: Disability Benefits | Child Support | Alimony | Divorce | Law Offices of LaVan & Neidenberg, P. A.

Here is the sentence I found very interesting and thought it may be beneficial to you: The Law Offices of LaVan & Neidenberg receive many inquiries about the court's ability to garnish a veteran's disability compensation. The short answer is, yes. There are certain circumstances in which the court can write an order to garnish your disability benefits.

So it seems that the court can garnish veteran's disability. I believe you would have to have a court order requiring them to do so. Check out the article. It specifically mentions child support garnishments. It's written by lawyers and it may give you some leverage and some info to take to DHS (if that's who you are dealing with).

Good luck!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I think I would need a lawyer to completely understand it but it does let me know that garnishment is possible. I don't plan to pursue it.

I guess what got me wondering about it was when X's girl friend moved in the military quit paying for x's apt (which was needed) and told him he was lucky they weren't bringing him up on charges. Then they turn around and say they will give him money for a child he may or may not support. This is the same child they wouldn't give separation pay on because DS didn't live with X.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts