Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted one forever and I got a brand new one for free. For me, I use it for beans mostly but there is tons of things you can cook with it.

I was spending a lot of money on canned beans and sometimes wasn't patient for the CP and I hate cooking them on the stove.

I buy dry beans and soak them over night and it cooks them in like 20 minutes flat depending on the type. Plus.....they taste soooo much better than canned and I can freeze them.

At first I was sorta scared to use it but it is really easy. They come in so many price ranges but mine is just average. I swear it has saved me more money. :hat:

Just wanted to share how much I love this kitchen gadget!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have been thinking of getting one. I should definitely find one.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I LOVE mine! I have a small one I use for Sunday roast/potatoes/carrots --beans etc. Then I have a big pressure canner for canning and cooking for lots of us.

·
19,119 Posts
We are getting one for DH for his birthday next month. Any info on size, brand, etc would really be appreciated!!
Mahall!!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Mine is also a Presto. I got them at Walmart.

Reactions: mauimagic

·
Registered
479 Posts
Is the Presto stainless steel, or aluminum? I try to avoid aluminum cookware due to the (totally unproven, but Id rather be safe than sorry) possible link to Alzheimers.

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is a Sears brand and it's aluminum. The stainless steel ones cost way more and I understand the concern about aluminum. I think it was around 35 bucks and it came with a cookbook.

When I was searching for one on the net there was just so many to choose from! I just got a basic one but I love it.

It's the one with the handles on both sides. If I can find a pic of it, I will post it.

·
Premium Member
3,524 Posts
I got this one and am really happy with it so far:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?view=2&app=detail&params=item^K14941,frames^y,from^se,cm_scid^isrc,cm_ssi^Item:%20K14941&cm_re=PAGE-_-SEARCH-_-K14941

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can a pressure canner be used as a cooker? I have a canner, but it's so huge, I've thought about buying a smaller pressure cooker.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Can a pressure canner be used as a cooker? I have a canner, but it's so huge, I've thought about buying a smaller pressure cooker.
I was wondering the same thing. I am contemplating a pressure canner this summer and wondered if I could cook in it, too. TIA

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
There is something to the alzheimers. My dad was taking an over the counter medicine in large quantities years ago and got symptoms of alzheimers. Come to find out it had alot of aluminum in it. I have 3 pressure cookers. 1 Aluminum which I quit using and 2 stainless. I sometimes use 2 of them for one meal. Fresh vegetables in one and potatoes in the other. I also make full meals in them. Stainless is more expensive. Despite people being afraid of them. I use mine often and have never had a problem. I overfill mine all the time; never a problem. The food shrinks anyway. Would not be without mine!!!! Today the companies that make these are kind of cheap even with the expensive ones. My last 2 there were no cookbooks with them.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Is the Presto stainless steel, or aluminum? I try to avoid aluminum cookware due to the (totally unproven, but Id rather be safe than sorry) possible link to Alzheimers.
I believe presto comes in both. I bought one at Aldi's; Crofton; worked kind of strange the way the lid went on and now it's not working. My other one is t-fal; I've had that one a long time and it's still working fine. Another thing about the stainless ones is that the bottom is thinner and you have to use a metal piece that comes with the pressure cooker so the food right in the bottom doesn't burn.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts