Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know last year from DD's back surgery we owed $6000.00 out of pocket and Dh worked his buns off to get the medical paid, we owe $618.00 to the hospital , now since he had surgery and a long stay in the hospital, it is going to be starting all over, but he is the one off from work, he has 5 months of sick time built, and we took a small pay cut plus the overtime is now gone. Anyway, has anyone had such large alounts of medical bills, and if I pay the medical bills with what I can afford a month instead of paying the whole amount,(which the medical doctor's, hospital, etc. will want, of course.) and the medical facilities want the whole amount owed, and I can only afford a certain amount a month, what happens? Do I go into collections, and if that is the case, what happens? I already know that I don't have $6000 right now to pay for the new medical bills, I think this amount is the maximum out of pocket for the year, which I know we will owe from all of this surgery and hospital stay, and physical therapy, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope that I explained myself clearly, and didn't make this sound too confusing. Any comments?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I dont know if this is good advice or not but I would only pay what I can afford. Give them an honest attempt every month and thats all. IF you gave them a dollar and they accept it that means they cant bug you.KWIM?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Contact the hospitals billing dept. Tell them what your situation is and work out a monthly payment plan with them.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Contact the hospitals billing dept. Tell them what your situation is and work out a monthly payment plan with them.
Of course you should try this first but I wouldnt hold out much hope. They tend to be unreasonable. I owed 1,500 and they wanted it in 3 payments of 500 and wouldnt accept anyless. However when I mailed them 100 a month for the next 15 months they never said a word and cashed my checks!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had surgery last August. I arranged with the hospital to pay $50 per month til it was paid off. Even though I was paying as agreed, they still sent it to a collection agency. They said that was standard. Oh well. I still am only paying the $50 per month. It just ticked me off that they did that even though I was paying as agree.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
This is the best way in my opinion.Make contact, then send the amount you promise. If it has to change, call and speak to the accounts staff and explain. They will be helpful if you remain upfront. I hope the health situation improves for the family!!:hugz:

·
Registered
330 Posts
You should call the hospital and see if they will take payments. I ahd a bill of $1500 last year and when I called and asked they just said "how many months do you want to pay it off"? When i said 4 they just told me how much money it was a month, and it is 0% interest. They were very flexible, it is worth a shot. Most people will have to make payments, so I am sure they will arrange something.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
When I had surgery and then chemo, my insurance paid almost all of it, but I was told that the hospital had to provide some free care or assistance. I didn't think I would end up owing enough to do it, but they encouraged me to apply for the program. I had to supply income info and last year's tax return, but after reviewing it, they remitted 50% of anything that was billed by the hospital itself. You might see if your hospital has a similar program. I don't know if this is common or just this particular group of hospitals. From what I was told, it almost sounded like it was something mandated that they had to do, and it was not a small amount. If I remember it was something like 13 million annually. Well, on second thought it may be small amount in their overall budget, but it sounded like a lot of money to me!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
You can also contact the hospital and see if they have a program to pay what you owe. Our hospital does. About 9 years ago we were going thru a major money low and I went in and filled out a one page paper, with no verification, and they called me less than 2 hours later and told be it was taken care of. Now we are in a little better situation and my husband had to go to the emergency room about 5 weeks ago and we have a $400 bill and they set it up for me to pay only $25 a month. They want their money and they will usually work with you to get it.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I heard a caller to Dave Ramsey just a little bit ago with this same issue. He said that you need to go in face to face with the hospital administrator and take you bills and your budget and tell them that you would like to pay them, but no matter how hard you try, you just can't make money that is not there. Ask them what they would be willing to accept for payment. He said that as long as you go in and talk to them before they start chasing you, you get good results. He said that they will often knock off over 50% if you do this step. Good luck!

·
Registered
737 Posts
We had three companies send bills after my surgery last year. The doctor was willing to take whatever we could afford. The anes. people wanted a specific amount per month and the hospital was very unreasonable. Well, not so much unreasonable because they did help us out by getting our bill discounted but once it was they still wanted a hefty amount per month and wouldn't put us in a payment plan any other way. I just sent what I could and they never said anything. They just cashed the checks. I know their job is to get as much money out of you up front as possible, but I don't understand the all or nothing reasoning some companies have. If I don't have $100 to send, but I have $20 why wouldn't they want that? Good luck to your family. I would definitely see if they have any programs to get your bill discounted. At the time of my surgery my dh was making 20K more than he is now and we still qualified for some assistance.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I had a miracle occur when I sat down to talk to my doctor about a payment plan on a balance owed him. He forgave the balance of my debt. Since I had no insurance and had made such an honest effort he forgave 410.00 worth of debt. My hospital adjusted my debt also as I had no insurance. They did send my balance to their collection agency simply because thats who takes care of their accounts older than 30 days.
My retired neighbor down the street who also has no insurance made a deal to pay $20.00 a month 2 years ago on her emergency surgery. She pays and nevers hears from them except for her month recipt of her check.

Good Luck!

Laurie in Bradenton

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't call the hospital to negotiate. They will only pressure you into paying, and paying now. Find out the laws in your state.

In my state, as long as your paying SOMETHING, you cannot be sent to collections.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts