Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a question for teachers

I teach high school science. next academic year they want me to teach a new course (9th grade physics) that i am totally unqualified for. I have told them for two years that I am a poor choice - it was my worst subject - and they need plan on selecting another person. Can they really make me do this?

what are the teacher politics of saying "no"? or do you have to do what they say? or walk? i don't want to quit. one district is as bad as another.

I know that in "teacher land" there are weird and different rules and politics. I have seniority and was thinking/planning on teaching "regular chemistry" and possibly an AP level course. and now this has reared its lovely head again. becuase THEY don't plan ahead, i am going to get dumped on.

thoughts?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hmmm . . . I would think that they could make you teach anything that is in the science field, regardless of how well you did in the class or not.

Pretty much in my district, you do what they say, regardless of seniority, etc. My district is large and they even move teachers from one school to the other with no forewarning.

It sounds like you are really in a *stinky* situation. You're right, every district has its faults. If I were in your shoes, I would tell the principal my concerns again but would leave the conversation letting him/her know that I would do my best to teach whatever class was assigned to me. I know, it sounds wimpy, but do you really want to start over at another school or district??

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm . . . I would think that they could make you teach anything that is in the science field, regardless of how well you did in the class or not.

Pretty much in my district, you do what they say, regardless of seniority, etc. My district is large and they even move teachers from one school to the other with no forewarning.

It sounds like you are really in a *stinky* situation. You're right, every district has its faults. If I were in your shoes, I would tell the principal my concerns again but would leave the conversation letting him/her know that I would do my best to teach whatever class was assigned to me. I know, it sounds wimpy, but do you really want to start over at another school or district??
do i really want to start over again-- No! i have master keys, know everyone, know just how to hit the copy machine to get it to work right, et cetera.

i am in my annual feb/march complaining time. whining for me always hits about now. i think i will ask for the one prep instead of the usual two to devote time and energy into developing the non existent curriculum and labs. i am going to be the team leader as well. this stinks.
thanks for your advice. i really appreciate it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am also the team leader in my dept. There are more stress that comes with it than most people would think as well as no extra pay. I totally understand the spring "meltdown" as we call it around my house. I just keep telling myself, " just two and a half more months to go" Hang in there!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am also the team leader in my dept. There are more stress that comes with it than most people would think as well as no extra pay. I totally understand the spring "meltdown" as we call it around my house. I just keep telling myself, " just two and a half more months to go" Hang in there!
i have been the team leader for the former 9th grade physical science course (going to be a 9th grade physics class now....)for the past 4 years. i was hoping this would go away...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Don't worry...you'll still know about physics than the students. LOL Seriously, I think you'll honestly have an easier time teaching physics than you did studying it. When I used to tutor Spanish in college I had to explain a couple of grammar points that I never understood. But by having to explain them to another person, they suddenly made sense to me. Same thing when I started teaching. The things that always hung me up I was suddenly having to teach to others. And you know what? It went fine. I had the answers (a.k.a. teacher's edition) and by having to find ways of presenting and explaining it, I learned it better than I had as a student.
I'm certified K-12 in Spanish and French. For the last couple of years I've been teaching elementary school overseas. That's not where my training is (except for homeschooling my oldest for K-2) but I'm doing it, doing it well (better than I was thinking I would), and loving it.
Think of this as a new job without the hassle of giving up tenure, master keys, etc. LOL

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
This is my first year of retirement from teaching, so I still well remember the 3rd quarter doldrums, with its spring break fever and contract times. There were a few times that I was told that I was teaching certain classes that didn't exactly thrill me. As a younger teacher, I just accepted it. As an older teacher, I played the seniority card. You might try approachng the powers that be with a careful listing of your strengths and how you could use those to the school's best advantage. May not work, but it shows you in a better light.

If any consolation, I enjoyed working with freshmen and actually asked for them! I found them to be less jaded than the upper classmen. (Plus, I am on the smallish side, and at least at the beginning of the year, I was bigger than some of them~) LOL.

Hope it goes well with you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts