Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever had a very unsettling experience of prayer? Prayer time where things just did not go as you anticipated, or wanted? Where something strange or extraordinary happened?

I wrote about my most recent experience at my blog:
glorybug.wordpress.com.

So I won't repeat the whole story here. But if you read it, you'll know what I am talking about.

So how about you? Share your prayer experience. What did you learn? Did it change you in any way?

Reactions: cab54 and imagine

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Hi fHg, I pray much the same way as you, and yes, I know exactly what you are talking about. Has it changed me? I don't know, I always prayed expecting to hear his voice. It's when He's silent and wants me to wait on him that unnerves me.

I think the only time in my prayer life when i became surprised is when I started praying whenever I saw an ambulance responding to a call, and finding myself not knowing what to pray and God showing me through pictures in my minds eye, and in feelings (not feeling exactly) just knowing the feelings like panic, or knowing specific things like breathing, blood pressure, areas of the body injured or afflicted. I also know when there is nothing to pray because the patient is gone. God confirmed that it was in fact Him leading me by revealing to me who was in the ambulance being treated. That revelation shook me to my shoes.

It's interesting what your prayer/conversation was because today I became so frustrated with an intolerable situation that I'm positive I was demanding that He do something NOW, and in My way. Glad I read your blog.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thank you for sharing!
Many Blessings,
Melanie

Reactions: forHISglory

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
I read your blog entry and I've had pretty much the same experience. I hear, 'be still and know that I am God' quite a bit, actually. I know that God has it all under control, but sometimes, I want to tell Him the way things should be, I'm ashamed to say.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Wow, what thought provoking reading this morning! Thanks, FHG! I have experienced the same thing, you are certainly not alone. I think God answers us in different ways and at different times, and it's hard as a child of God not to expect or demand something from him. The nerve of me, haha! Two of my siblings are going through major trials right now and in praying for them I am praying for a certain, very specific outcome. It may not be the outcome God is intending and I'm trying to accept that. Thanks for the gentle reminder. :hugz:

·
Registered
933 Posts
5 1/2 years ago I was having health problems. I had a D&C and the doctor found I had a very high count of cancer cells and scheduled a hysterectomy 2 weeks. later. I was scared. My grandmother died of cancer at 42. I had been praying and it was like the love of God just surrounded me and I had the sweetest peace I've ever had in my entire life. It felt like God was telling me it was going to be fine. I was no longer afraid at all. Sweet sweet peace. I had the surgery and it was already cancer. They were able to get it all and I didn't even have to have chemo.

I've gone through some rough times since then...my sweet nephew's death that same week while I was still in the hospital, (I was in the hospital for 8 days) several family deaths, my sil's suicide which left us caring for my dying fil who had Parkinsons...but through it all I could look back to that sweet peace that God gave me and know...it was going to be alright. Prayer does change things.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Yes, I had an experience like this when I was 28 years old. It is the only thing that keeps me from this feeling I've had for the last 15 years that God doesn't hear us, maybe doesn't even exist. I see so much horrible stuff in the world today, I had just about given up.

Thanks for reminding me, FHG. :rose:

·
Registered
493 Posts
This past year we've been hit hard with job loss. In 10 months my dh has been laid of 3 times! The first time it happened, I was just beside myself. I would lay in bed begging God to help us find a job, I was a wreck. 3 months later he found a job.... which lasted 5 months.

During his 2nd layoff I was even more devastated..I emotionally and physically shut down. How could HE allow this to happen to us. I quit going to church. I still prayed begging God for a job. DH found a job that very next week....only to be laid off in 5 weeks.

This time I got down on my hands and knees and prayed much different. Asking HIM for guidance. We couldn't do this on our own anymore, we didn't know what to do anymore. Where do you look? I prayed for strength and courage to get through this lay off. I laid everything at HIS feet...surrendering it all. Praying that I now knew HE was in control, not us. I can't describe the feeling I had....but I knew it was all going to be OK. I didn't have the fear and worry anymore. I just knew.

DH started another job this week. In just 2 weeks he got a call from a place he applied to 10 months ago (during his first lay off). A place where he has wanted to get into for a long time. Great benefits and job he loves. Had 3 interviews in one week and was offered the job!

GOD is merciful. HE has showed me that. As long as I am still and wait on HIM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.