Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had helped ds1 buy a vehicle with matching funds back before we bought my current 2010 car. Since ds1 had a car and the offer from the dealer on trade in was a joke we kept the 2001 ford. The plan was ds2 could learn to drive on the old taurus and once he had proven he could save his $ we would let him pay us and then hand it right back to him since the value of the car would = what we matched his brother when he bought his first car.

DS1 blew the engine in his truck through not putting antifreeze in ( though his papa had just told him too). We were not going to let a newly graduated kid lose his job since he wasnt going to school. He needed to work. Cant' walk 20+ miles to work since we are rual. No biggie because we had the spare 2001 car and his brother wasn't needing it yet.

If course something had to go wrong and we spent $1200 on the 2001. The mechanic assured me it was a great car and what could you buy for $1200. They went over it supposedly with a fine tooth comb.

Ds1 buys a new car and a few months later ( now) ds2 gets his first job. Awesome! he has a car to drive the 17 miles to work! He drove it a few days last week and Sunday it wouldnt start. Since he was the next town over we had it towed to a local garage that his friends parents recommended.

The shop owner calls today and tells me everything they found. IN NO WAY did the shop ( local) that went over it with a fine tooth comb do that in his opinion. The shop owner told me flat out he wouldnt fix it in his opinion to the tune of $1600 because of all the other issue he found. He said he was really afraid It wasn't money well spent.

I read him a list of the things done recently at our local garage. He said there was no way these things were actually done from what he was seeing in the engine. They have been the ones to do all the work since it was bought in 2002 besides once when we dropped a tranny seal in KY.

Guess who is meeting with the local shop owner today with a list of what they did ( seals etc) that I'm told were never done. ME! I want an explanation.

So here we sit with DS2 excited because he has a job but now there is the car issue. He cant walk 17 miles. I dont want the kid who is so proud about his new job to have to quit!

I can catch a ride to the town dh and I work in with DH all but 2-3 days a month so ds2 can use my car. He cant drive a stick well enough to drive dh's. Plus dh's gets better mileage. I already ride with dh most of the time to save on wear and tear on the new car plus save gas over us both driving.

However when I work on Saturdays dh will either be car-less if I take his so ds2 can drive mine or he has to run the 17 miles one way back and forth twice to take and pick up ds2.

So dh and I will be driving dh's beat up old kia while ds2 drive my beautiful car :( Something is wrong with this picture. I hate to have my car driven all that way for short 3 hour shift because of wear and tear. At this moment I am cursing living so rural!

I told ds2 he needs to start saving for a car and we will match him in $'s up to a certain amount. I told dh we need to teach him to drive a stick because come winter I do not want the kids driving my car his first winter driving.

So I go to start the riding mower and the beast is blowing oil out of the muffler! WHAT the heck? OK I'll push mow a few acres today. The darn thing wont stay running! This is just not my day is it????

I thought about doing some batch cooking but I might burn down the house with my luck!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Oh what a time you are having! So sorry every thing is happening at once.
Hang in there!

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
Oh gees........hugs to you. That is a lot of stress!!

Good luck with the mechanical stuff......and getting everything worked out.

Keep us posted on how it goes with the shop owner.......that sucks!!

·
Super Moderator
19,680 Posts
Sorry to hear it's all falling in on you at once. Take a breath, and remind yourself it's only money, not health issues or other, more serious problems. Things will eventually work out.

My son learned to drive a stick. He is mentally disabled and also a below-the-knee amputee with a prosthesis. If he can learn, your son should have no trouble at all.

One thing I noticed with all our kids who learned to drive in our old Cadillac with a stick was they all let up on the clutch too fast in first gear. They'd let it out slow like they should, then as the car started to move they'd pop it and kill the engine. Once I figured out they needed to release it slowly till it was all the way out, none of them had a bit of trouble.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. It is good just to vent a bit! Your little dog in your avatar pic is sure cute!

Thanks Franny and Spiritdeer. I'm sure he can learn it just takes time. Being rual is a PITA when it comes to this stuff.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm so sorry, nodmicks!! I absolutely understand when it comes to car troubles - they are infuriating. It is true that it's a problem that can be fixed with money, and there is something reassuring about that. But cars can munch up money faster than anything.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep it can be fixed with $ but that is going to take a good few months to buy ds2 a car. We will match him up to a certain amount but that is it.

cars and houses munch up $ here :)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hopefully everything will settle down for you. Keep your fingers crossed that your son might be able to get a ride back and forth the days you need to work with a co-worker.

Hang in there.

·
Super Moderator
19,680 Posts
I didn't mean to imply costly repairs aren't annoying and important, only that in the larger scheme of things, it's less of a problem than other things.

Houses and cars do munch up lots of cash, like you say.

But it does sound like you have a plan to cope with it using the cars you have available, and while it may be inconvenient for a while, having a plan does bring down the worry level a little.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
What a major upset! I'd like to be a fly on the wall when you talk to the guy at the garage :).

Your son will love a stick shift, it's easy to learn and way "cooler" than an automatic.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't mean to imply costly repairs aren't annoying and important, only that in the larger scheme of things, it's less of a problem than other things.

Houses and cars do munch up lots of cash, like you say.

But it does sound like you have a plan to cope with it using the cars you have available, and while it may be inconvenient for a while, having a plan does bring down the worry level a little.

I'm sorry I should have quoted. My response was to "abeautfullife" post actually :)

Oh yeah , no worries. It is just a pain in the butt juggling cars and more miles on my "baby" ( my car) so ds can drive over 30 miles round trip to make about $21. I had been riding with dh to keep the miles down on my car but the kid needs the experience.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ramona~ It was a joke. They swore up and down it was all done and the other place wasn't being truthful. I told them no way. The other place has no reason to fib. They are actually recommending I dont fix it so they are losing $. They will be gaining a new customer though for their honesty!!!!!!!!

Dh's car is a beat up banged up kia mine is a cute sporty looking thing. Ds however says a car is a car but moms is way cooler. Kids

oheoh's momma~ Ok I'm going to whine more :) I cant have chocolate or wine! The meds havent worked for laryngopharyngeal reflux so now no coffee, tea, wine, and a long list of no nos

shoiji~ There is one other kid that works there but he lives in the town the restaurant is in. Things can always change though :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Ramona~ It was a joke. They swore up and down it was all done and the other place wasn't being truthful. I told them no way. The other place has no reason to fib. They are actually recommending I dont fix it so they are losing $. They will be gaining a new customer though for their honesty!!!!!!!!

Dh's car is a beat up banged up kia mine is a cute sporty looking thing. Ds however says a car is a car but moms is way cooler. Kids
Creeps! I'd post a review on Yelp.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Call the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. I am sorry you are going through this, it stinks.

·
Registered
553 Posts
The cost of used vehicles has become so painful. Dh is insisting we need to replace my 1999 Buick that has around 179,000 miles on it. We were looking today and the cheapest used vehicles were $12,000 to $15,000. That equals a year of my life. What is especially frightening is if we buy a lemon (and there are no guarantees) we me retiring we would have no way to recoup our loss. Cars have become a huge financial issue. In 1962 we bought a brand new 3 bedroom home with hardwood floors for $10,000. Just thinking about spending more than that on a used vehicle makes me physically ill.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks!

Anna are you talking newer used cars? In 2010 I bought a gently used 2010 for myself in that range. It did come with 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with $100 deductible.Maybe you could get something similar?? WOW when you compare it to the 1962 house you just left my mouth hanging wide open! My older son bought a decent used older car for $2000 but it is not nice by any means but it gets him places.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts