Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Biggest pet peeve ever - when people give up their animal that they have had for a long time after they have a child. Obviously, if the animal was extremely aggressive, this isn't good. I am talking about the "I don't have as much time for the animal anymore", etc.

Recently, I was asked repeatedly to adopt a cat from a friend's family because their son may or may not sneeze when the cat is around. I suggested having child tested before taking drastic step of getting rid of cat. They said they would eventually. I suggested shaving cat down (may help level of dander), they said too much work. I suggested keeping cat outdoors more (safe neighborhood), and they said they don't want "an outdoorsy cat".

So I was told quote "if you (being me) want the cat, let us know. If not we are just going to drop him off at the humane society."

HOLY CRAP...the guilt I felt was tremendous! I wracked my brain and heart over this!

Then I found out that they may just decide to keep cat a bit longer to "see what happens".

UGH!:bang:

·
4,028 Posts
You should have suggested you would take both the cat AND their son since they were so willing to let one of their family members go so easily.

It irks me that people would do such a thing.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
This is my *pet* peeve also!!! I saw one on Craigslist the other day for a 4 year old lab. Because the baby is starting to crawl and there is *too much pet hair*!!! I SO want to smack these poepl into a coma. I understand there are truly situations where people have no choice...but this is just LAZY.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I will be watching my 6 month old grandaughter for the next 11 days. We have a golden and a very old cat....who sheds a LOT. I will be vacuuming more than usual.....duh!!!!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
My heart breaks every time I visit the pet section of Craig's List. Here's an example one from today:

2 wonderful Burmese cats, Milo and JoJo. These cats have different mothers but the same Father. Milo is about 12 years old and JoJo is 10 yrs old. They are both male nudered cats. They are inside/outside cats. Wonderful with kids, great personalities and can not be seperated. I have 4 children under 9 and life is just hecktic and hard when we have 2 cats to have to manage as well. They are very low maintance, still its hard when we have to travel and such. I will not accept them going to any home where they won't be spoiled rotten. Please contact me if your interested. Thanks, Amber
I can send pictures upon request.

Really? 12 and 10 years old?? It just broke my heart, this is likely the only home these cats have known and they are being rehomed at such a late age. "I wont accept them going to a home where they wont be spoiled rotten" even though they are willing to dump them themselves onto someone else. The cats are older than their oldest child and they know the parentage of the cats so it seems to me they probably have had the cats since they were kittens. But hey, dump them off now that you're done with them, now that you have kids.

ok, sorry, but its just heartbreaking and its EVERY DAY that there are tons of postings similar to this for both cats, dogs, all animals. Will it ever end???

Oh and if this is your posting, sorry, but it was one of MANY that I am tired of reading. (yes, I guess I should just stop reading them, but that wont solve the problems either and I've adopted 2 dogs off Craig's List in the past 2 years.)

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I hate this crap, too.

I think some people don't have the guts to face dealing with an older animal. They'd rather just bail.

I can't write what I'm thinking right now or I'd be seriously moderated.

Best if I don't get started, and don't revisit this thread. It would only raise my blood pressure.

·
Registered
26,302 Posts
I hate this too. Pets are family. If not, don't have a pet!!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
As an example. I have a friend who took in her neighbor's Golden about 5 years ago because she was completely ignored. She now has two kids, a husband, goes to school (summer school too) another dog, FOUR cats, three birds, and is pet keeping her niece's ferret. She manages FINE. Get a clue, people.
If you're lazy, don't get a pet!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
ok, sorry, but its just heartbreaking and its EVERY DAY that there are tons of postings similar to this for both cats, dogs, all animals. Will it ever end???

Petfinder is a perfect example. There #'s are awful; pets up for adoption. Please don't get a pet if you are not in it for the long haul. AND I do realize there are some circumstances where there is no choice. I still feel sorry for the animals.
I just adopted a 1 year old dog and he's really good while we are home; but is a "stinker" (for a better word; LOL) while we are gone because he doesn't want to be left alone or is afraid we aren't coming back.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I keep telling myself, "judge not", I keep trying to tell myself there's more to the story than I probably know in most of the cases, if not all of them. Its really difficult not to judge, not to think these animals are just being dumped. I tell myself, "hey at least they are trying to find homes before just dumping it at the shelter..." and about a dozen other excuses that I give to these people, trying somehow to give the benefit of the doubt. Then there are days like today when I'm just fed up. I'm glad someone else posted so I could vent.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
My favorite is the 8 month pregnant lady looking to rehome a 4 month old pup(or similar) because they 'won't have time' once the baby comes'. Maybe not, but then why did you adopt an animal knowing there's a baby coming?!?......some people just don't think things through! I try to look at it this way though- some of these folks make be irresponsible idiots, but then isn't the poor animal better off in a different home?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Oh, please.....I took in a stray dog (for life..we had her another 11 years!) when I was 8 months pregnant with my second child. I had a 16 month old already, and 2 cats.
The *we're having a baby* excuse is the worst. JMO

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
Would you guys rather they keep the animal and not treat it well or give it the attention it needs? Truly just asking, I am not trying to be flip.

We don't have an animal because 1. I am not a fan of animals. and 2. I don't have the time/energy/desire to take care of another living creature and 3. I refuse to clean up poop other than my child's.

ETA: And I am definitely not the type of person to view an animal as a part of the family, so I am just trying to better understand. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Would you guys rather they keep the animal and not treat it well or give it the attention it needs? Truly just asking, I am not trying to be flip.

We don't have an animal because 1. I am not a fan of animals. and 2. I don't have the time/energy/desire to take care of another living creature and 3. I refuse to clean up poop other than my child's.

ETA: And I am definitely not the type of person to view an animal as a part of the family, so I am just trying to better understand. Thank you.
I can't speak for others but for me that's JUST it! They committed to the animal the day they acquired it. Its common knowledge that an animal is a commitment and can live easily 10-15 years depending on the breed. Its the refusal to commit to something that's an obvious commitment from the very first day. Its the refusal to care for something after the newness wears off. Baby chicks and baby bunnies being dumped after Easter, dogs being dumped when they are a large breed such as a Great Dane after 1 year of age (no longer a cute puppy) and the owners saying "he is too big." ITS A GREAT DANE!! DUH!! Things like that, its everything, but its basically the "dumping" situations that hurt my heart.

So in a sense, yes, I would like them to keep it and HONOR the commitment that they made. The animal didn't choose them, they chose it. I really hate when they pretend they are the pet itself talking and write things like, "I am looking for a new home." Um, no, the dog is not on Craig's list hoping for a new home. It is asleep at your feet wishing you would scratch it behind its ears or give it a snuggle as it stretches out on your living room floor. Gosh I just love my dogs so much, it warms my heart how loving animals can be when someone lets them. It breaks my heart when owners refuse to do so.

Oh, Hi, I just went off again. I think I need to join Spirit Deer and leave this conversation, hahaha!! SORRY!

Reactions: McD

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
McD;

The short answer if you feel the way you do and plenty of people do; DON'T get the animal in the first place.

I like that you want to understand why we feel the way we do.

Pets that have been part of a family for years and then given away have a hard time starting over and I feel sorry for the animal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I completely and totally understand. The second dog I got was one that was going to be given to a shelter if I did not adopt him. His 'huge problem' was that he whined when they left him in his crate for 14+ hours a day without food, water, or even a chew toy. He also (horror of horrors!) ran in the house.
He is now happily part of the family, he and my little pocket Beagle Katy are best buds and are always playing together. So even though he was not one we were looking to adopt, I feel good about it because I saved a sweet loyal dog from a shelter and he is a great playmate for Katy! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts