Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love watching Little House on the Prairie and as a child I always wanted to go into the Olsens store, lol.....some things never change. Oh to walk around and look at the oil lamps, fabric, penny candy, etc................Do you think you would shop weekly or monthly and what would be your special treat (after groceries and necessities) if you had a little extra money left over at the end of the month?:smball:

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I would probably shop monthly and my little treat would be some calico material!!! I'd probably throw in a couple of candy sticks for the kids. I might throw in a couple of buttons.

I wish they still had those general stores around. At lower Fort Gary near Winnipeg, they have a general store but you can't purchase from there. Its a musuem and I love going there, just to walk around and look at what they had in their general stores.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Gosh, I love those stores. I actually when i was young went to a store like that, They had some old home days and you could buy stuff. that was a while ago.
LOL

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I would love to go to those stores. I love the Olsen's store.

·
Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob
5,451 Posts
There's an abandoned general store about two miles from my house. It used to sell just about everything, from fabric to tires and everything in between. I would love to buy the building and reestablish a general store. I would put a pot bellied stove in the middle of the room, just like it used to be. The old timers could have a checker game going and it would be good place to socialize. I think I would have a "penny candy" jar, for the little kids and us big kids,too.

·
Registered
14,689 Posts
When I was a kid growing up in my small town we had "the dry goods store". You could buy material, notions, clothes, shoes, anything just about that you can imagine but groceries. Everyone from out of town thought it was funny that it was called the dry goods store. Personally I never got the joke :lol:

·
Heather Bob
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ladies for your comments and memories!! That would be a wonderful plan Dixie, would be great if it could happen!!

The kids and I used to go to Black Creek Pioneer Village (near Toronto) many times a year (I ended up getting a membership we went so often) It is a whole pioneer village and it's beautiful, the school, grain mill, general store, cabinetmakers shop, hotel, tin shop, blacksmith, dr.'s house, and on and on.......I just love strolling through there and going back in time. The general store is awesome...it is set up that you can buy things, crafts, candy, tin lanterns, bonnets, aprons, handmade brooms, braided rugs, and so, so, much more. That is one of the things I miss when we moved over here. I plan on going back this summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts