Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big news this week was that Samson, my alpine dairy goat, was diagnosed with acute acidosis. I suspected something last week, but since the vet was coming out on Wednesday, I kept putting off a separate visit for him. He was up and moving with the flock, so I didn't realize how sick he was. On Wednesday, however, the day of the visit, he laid down, and that was the beginning of a very rough couple of days. The vet came out that morning and started him on several medications, including antibiotics, antacids, laxatives, probiotics, and appetite stimulants. For days, he just laid there, crying in pain, refusing to eat or drink. Today, four days later, he is just starting to show signs of improvement. He is standing up on his own, taking treats from me, and he is getting more feisty. He still has a long way to go, but I am cautiously optimistic that he will make a full recovery.

The week started out cold and foggy, then switched to cold and rainy, then the sun came out for a few days, and now we are back to cold and foggy again!! I spent a long time outside today, chopping wood into pieces small enough to fit into my wood stove, and I am glad I did, because I've got that puppy stoked tonight! It is amazing how the weather can go from 70's and sunny to 40's and freezing in less than twelve hours!

I also got my project of the month done - getting my birdfeeding station revamped. I now have one area, in a small grove of oak and manzanita trees, devoted to bird feeders. It took the birds all of about a day to find them, and now it is a flurry of activity there! I just added a hummingbird feeder (which makes three on the property so far) out there, as well as filling the suet feeder. It will be fun to see which feeder gets emptied the fastest!

The foster GSD puppies are still with me, and I take all the dogs (my dogs and the puppies) out every day to play. I think the pups will be going back to the county at the end of next week, because that is when the court case is being held. It will be sad to let them go, because I've enjoyed their company, and they have such fun here, but it will also be nice to have my laundry room back and to have more time for my three dogs. I think, once these guys go back, I will take a short hiatus from fostering. I need a break!

I have been wracking my brain all week, trying to come up with a present for my sister, who is turning fifty in March. (We had lunch on Monday and the topic came up.) Her stupid husband is not going to give her a party, because he can't be bothered, and when I asked her what they were doing for her birthday, she said that he might take her out to dinner. Hello? It is her FIFTIETH birthday! In my book, after 30, the decade birthdays are pretty important. She also mentioned that he wants to buy her a semiautomatic pistol for her birthday. (Which would be fine, except she doesn't WANT one.) Again, hello? She has a very low opinion of herself, and I try to do things to let her know that she is special, so it doesn't help when my efforts are sabotaged by her husband, who apparently doesn't realize that just because HE doesn't like parties and HE likes guns, that doesn't mean everyone else in the world feels the same way!

So, I have been trying to think of a really special present for her, and I have been coming up blank. But I think I've finally hit upon something, and I think I can use my change jar money to buy it! I took her to a musical a few years ago (Wizard of Oz), and she seemed to enjoy it, but never really brought it up again until about a month ago, when she mentioned how much she liked it, and how she'd really like to go again this year. That got us talking about plays in general, and she talked about how she never has a chance to see live plays, and how exciting they are to her because she gets emotionally caught up in them. So, I think I am going to get her a season's pass for two to the Music Circus. That would get her into six or seven plays this year, and she would have the extra ticket to take whomever she wanted as a guest. (Probably me most of the time, but she could take her son or her best friend, or anyone else, as well.) I think one season pass is in the $150 - $200 range, so it will be a bit pricey, but I feel like I have to make up for her stupid husband and our mother, who will probably want to take her to Hometown Buffet and give her a card with cash in it.

So, lessons learned this week: don't put off until tomorrow what you should do today, especially when it comes to goats; enjoy the sunny days when they come, but prepare for the colder weather; and don't marry an idiot.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
thats great news about Samson

and that sounds like a great gift for your sister

·
Registered
968 Posts
I am so happy to hear that Samson is doing better and is on the mend. I been reading and waiting.

That is so nice of you to put so much thought and love in your sisters gift. Please post back and let us know her reaction... I am sure it will be over the top happy!! I know I would be. I fall into the card with cash from my family. Which is fine with me, but surprises are awesome! (my family is just not very good at putting a lot of thought into those type of things)
I admire you for fostering the pups....I love animals and would have such a hard time letting them go. I would end up with a zoo, or worse on that animal hoarders show, LOL! Have a great week :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts