Frugal Village Forums banner

A whole new way to eat need tips and ideas

Tags
eat ideas tips
1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  erinalexmom 
#1 ·
ok today I read the idea that most Americans are eating thier meals the wrong way around and that is leading to obesity. they eat thier small meals for breakfast and lunch and thier big meal at dinner (which is what we do also) but they should "eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch, and a pauper at dinner"
So we should eat our big meals at breakfast/lunch. Small meal at supper. This is all a good idea and I want to do it....do any of you do this and can you give me some tips and tricks. I also have some obsticals to this as far as lunch goes that I need ideas for....1) my stepdaughter is in high school and she can take her lunch (im not sure she will) but what could I get to keep a big meal warm and also she has limited time to eat. :( Also I pick my daughter up from school at 12:30 on tuesdays and 1pm on thursdays. So its right at lunch and she would have to wait till about 130pm to eat lunch on thurs, and 1pm on tuesday. She does get a snack at school at least. But to be honest I have been bringing her lunchables to eat in the car on the way home cause I know she is hungry
Sorry this is so long but this is a whole new lifestyle for me and I am not sure how to handle it :shrug2:

#2 ·
We've been trying to do this too. One of the biggest problems for us (2 adults) is that we just don't sit down and eat breakfast during the week. If we do, it's a lot easier to pull this off.

When I can, I make breakfast casseroles, usually sandwiches for lunch, and a one protein, one veg dinner, or soup. If you have to eat more at dinner, add a green salad or another veg, not a more elaborate meat/protein thing or dessert.

So, breakfast casserole (from O'Brien Potatoes bag) roughly: eggs, sausage, potato, tomato, Lunch: p & j or small amount of meat lunch, dinner, pasta & cheese, salad, maybe fruit.

Or three-layer cornbread (Tassahara Bread book) for breakfast w/ butter & maple syrup,maybe sausage/bacon. Lunch: sandwiches. Dinner, cheese quesadilla or corn cheese soup, maybe a salad.

Frequently, during the week, we still do skimpy breakfast (toast or hot cereal mostly) but a bigger lunch. Don't nibble in between, and minimal dinner.

That's where we are with this. I'll be real interested to see what others have to add! A weekend breakfast casserole is about the only real success I've had with this. There are a lot of recipes for them in Innkeeper/B & B cookbooks.

Judi

#3 ·
Remember that a "big" meal doesn't have to mean a lot of food, it can simply be something high in calories and nutrition. For example a bowl of instant oatmeal with fruit and milk is quick and hearty for breakfast. Snacks like trail mix (granola, nuts, dried fruit) pack a lot of calories and fiber. A sandwich with a hearty whole grain or multi-grain bread and an extra slice of cheese is another way to fill up and add those calories during the morning and early afternoon hours when you are most active.

#4 ·
Tahnk you both for the replies! :) judi, thanks for the ideas about 'what to make" because that is also a challenge, especially since there arent as many choices in breakfast as there are for other meals.

Good point housewife, because I was really looking at cooking 'alot" of food and I am a person who actually gets an upset stomach from too much food when I first wake up (of course this could be because Ive always had my big meal at supper)

One thing I am going to make Judi for the "quick breakfast" problem is those freezer breakfast burritoes and then someone can just stick them in the microwave and grab it and eat it on the way to work or school. My stepdaughter is allowed to eat on the bus which helps alot!

#6 ·
I disagree that changing the order you eat your meals will prevent obesity. However, diet is a matter of personal choice so I will leave my 2c at that :)

I would say if you are in this for the long haul, planning is key. If obesity is the worry, even planning a sandwich and some raw veg or fruit for lunch rather than a lunchable would be a huge step in a good direction.

Just take into consideration how much time you have available in the morning to make your large breakfast. Make use of your crockpot if you have one. There are lots of nice casseroles that would be delish for breakfast, and could cook while you sleep.

Reactions: Heather Groce
#8 ·
DH decided last summer that he wanted to do this. He's lost a lot of weight, partly due to this, partly due to just eating less and exercising more, the time-honored method.

My first attempts, since we both work at home was to make "dinner" for lunch, so if I cook a big meal these days, it's usually lunch. We may have leftovers for dinner, but mostly not.

Also, since we're only two adults, if we aren't hungry, then we don't eat as much. Tonight, for example, we split an acorn squash and had some rice pilaf with carrots added, and that was dinner.

I also frequently make dinner vegetarian, like tonight.

Judi

#9 ·
Farmers have eaten this way for eons :) They get up and do a few small chores while someone cooks breakfast. . . . around here it's generally pancakes, sausage, fruit - or biscuits/sausage gravy, juice - or ham, toast, milk.

Lunch is generally what the rest of the world eats for dinner -- chicken, potatoes, veggies, pie. . . . etc.

Supper is small (too tired to cook or eat by this point). . . sandwiches - soups- shepherd pie- sometimes it's just a bowl of popcorn and a pear - or an apple with peanut butter.

#10 ·
Judi, that is encouraging to know that it is working for your dh and that it has been something that he was able to stick to long term :) I should have added that I am planning the same as you, as far as this not being the only change in my eating habits. I also plan on choosing healthier alternatives to what I am eating now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.