Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
~I looked at my records last night because I was thinking it'd been a while since I went to my favorite shopping mall(and the surrounding mecca of stores) and it has been a whole year! Last February I spent almost $300 in for clothes that I did need. But I think it scared me enough that I unconciously avoided planning another trip. I do actually remember what I bought on that trip so I'm still wearing the 2 pair jeans, 3 bras, 10 pairs undies, 2 pair lounge pants, 2 sweaters and 3 dresses. So I'm gonna count it as a success even though I didn't actually try to stay away!~

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Good for you and still wearing the same clothes. I know some people who tire of clothes after a season and just go out and buy new ones.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Good for you! I dislike malls intensely, but that's because I have a phobia of crowds. Everytime I do go to one, though, I always seem to come out with more stuff than I went in to buy. Congrats as well on wearing the same clothes...I know someone who buys new clothes every season; she works for a clothing store for free because she spends every penny of every paycheck she gets in the store. (Luckily she has a husband to support her)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I hate malls. When I need clothes, I go to the consignment stores. I love thrift shopping too. :tedpink: I just love bargain hunting....

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
I dont mind going to the mall, however most often I dont buy anything cause their prices are way to high... I would much rather get clothes from the thrift shop :) their prices are within my budget.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I find the mall prices out here to be outrageous. I've gone on a clothing buying moratorium and don't plan on buying any new clothes this year.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am impressed! Good for you.

It's fairly easy for me to stay out of the mall. Bookstores are another story. Temptation lurks in every Barnes & Noble. Plus, here in Denver, we have this unbelievably great private bookstore called Tattered Cover. I must stay far, far away!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
You got me thinking about the last time I bought clothes at the mall. Last year I went in February and then again in May. I used gift cards, and I think I spent less than $200 total on my clothes last year. I just wear what I already have and wait for hand-me-downs. I didn't even buy clothes at thrift stores last year. I haven't bought anything at all this year! I know I will need some t-shirts this summer, but other than that I am not going to buy anything new this year :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Goodness, I can't remember what I bought 6 months ago much less a year. Good for you for staying away from stores where you know you'll overspend. Really I think $300 in a year for your clothing wasn't bad especially if you needed work clothes.

We don't go to our mall here much, it's pretty small and too pricey most of the time. We shop some clearance racks at dd's favorite stores, but mostly window shop.

Redhead68 I know about the weakness for books, I have to stay clear of our Barnes & Noble if I want to keep any money in my pockets. I remember the Tattered Cover in Denver! Haven't been there in years, but what a great store.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I find it helps me reduce the temptation if I just stay away from the stores entirely. I try not to "recreational" shop/ If I go to browse I will end up buying something. Now I only go when I need something specific.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good job! That is a great victory!

Also, this might be a dumb question, but what does the BS1, BS2, etc in your sig mean?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh LOL! I didn't even think about it being BS. I was trying to make the initials be something to do with money or saving and for the life of me could not figure it out.

·
Registered
966 Posts
The great thing is that you're still wearing the clothes. I have a closet full of clothes, and I wear about 1/4 of the stuff on a regular basis. The 'mistakes' were such a waste of money.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
WTG! i also hate malls, hate all the people

1 - 18 of 18 Posts