Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is crazy but I'll be 50 next month and I'm looking foward to those little senior citizen discounts, like free coffee at McDonalds, the Golden Buckeye card and joining AARP. Does anyone have AARP and is it worth it? TIA

Cat

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
When I turned 50 -- 11 years ago, my how time flies! -- I had the complimentary membership, but was not impressed, for several reasons.

It was much more political than I am, and that didn't interest me.

The only discount I checked out was car insurance in response to the blizzard of mail I got telling me how much money I would save. I finally called them and the agent sounded stunned on the phone. What I had with State Farm was somewhere around $400 a year less.

Their magazine not only didn't interest me, it irritated me. It seemed aimed at the wealthy retired who plan a retirement of travel and luxury. I won't have that, and don't want that.

In short, I decided that I was just not their audience. I have too reserved and self-contained and happy to be a homebody life, so, to their apparent dismay, to judge by the pleading letters, I did not renew it. I still get things from them from time to time, but I just toss them. It didn't seem to have anything for me. But I admit it is probably a wonderful organization for those with different values and interests and priorities than mine.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Oh they keep teasing me w/ emails but I have a year to go. And no I do not want o get into all the political stuff. I don't drink coffee or go to McDonalds and i love our ins. What else they got????

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Donna, that's just what I figured. I don't care for the political mumbojumbo either. I have health insurance through work and DH has had the same auto insurance agent for about 20 years so I doubt they could save us any money there. Guess I'll just keep throwing their promos in the trash.

Cat

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I didn't know about the political stuff, but I know whenever I book a room they ask me if I'n a member. I assume it's for discounts? Also, I know somebody who uses their health insurance in addition to Medicare, and she raves about it. So maybe it's improved over the years? If there's a web-site, it might be worth your time to look around and see.

Theresa :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
We take the AARP discount every chance we get.
Politics? They're looking out for us.
Supplemental insurance is the best.

Reactions: Sassyclass

·
Registered
226 Posts
I get mail from them all the time but I've never joined. I do have a Golden Buckeye cardand I use that a lot. Free coffee at Mcdonalds? Not where I live. They raised it to I think 69 cents for a senior coffee.

·
Registered
9,915 Posts
There are tons of discounts IF you can remember to ask for them. Most restaurants, parks, car rentals, hotels. Also eye glasses, Borders books, gyms, ADT home security. Lots more

I've heard nothing but praise for the supplemental insurance.

I've used the discount prescription before with no problem.

Both of use have it. It's cheap and IF you remember to use it it more than pays for itself.

Sending 2 links, one for home page and second for a partial discount page. Restaurants aren't listed. Ask at table or counter. I know there are tons more common places that take it far beyond the list you will see.

http://www.aarp.org/

http://products.aarp.org/psd_list/?intcmp=RR_HP_FOOTER_040109

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
I have it for my car and home insurance, for seven years now. When we got it they saved us alot of money. We are in the process now checking around to see if someone else is cheaper.

Theres all kinds of discounts. We use to use alot of the motel discounts and rental car upgrades. When the kids went to Blackhawk, gambling town, the casinio took my aarp card so the kids got a discout on the room.

I dont recieve alot of mail thru them except the policital stuff, which I suppose I should be looking at, alot of it is about seniors, but I just trash it.

They send you a coupon booklet with all the discounts they have, I am trying to not do any kind of shopping right now, so I dont even bother looking. I do know that their supplemental insurace is great, but I cant get that for several years.

Check out their website and see if theres anything you would use. For right now I'm keeping ti until I can find something better.

Reactions: Sassyclass

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
We paid & had been members for years. We joined to use it for discount on camping sites. All these years, not once did we find a campground that accepted it. So we quit. Well, guess what? Last fall, we went to the central area of my state & everyone of the campgrounds accepted it!!! But, my sister's husband has it for his supplemental insurance & they seem to like it.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
there are discounts at lowes, home depot and kohls sometimes.

i am nowhere near the aarp age, but, dh just turned 50 and i am filling out paperwork and sending the fee!

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
It sounds better than it used to be. Most of their discounts, all of them probably, would not be useful, but I might check into the supplemental health insurance when that becomes necessary. What I have now through work is wonderful, but it won't be there forever.

Thanks for the info from everyone and for the thread.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm 65 but don't use AARP, but should, I know they work for us old geezers, but like everybody else, I don't like all those mailings, and am just to shy to ask for the SR Discount. I even am a voter of a particular party, and send them notices on my e-mails to opt out. I'm too old to be bothered anymore, I could even get a disability thing for my car, but won't bother. Guess I'm, not fugal enough huh. It's not that I don't think the AARP is good, it's just not for me.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I was a member for awhile but the mag. didn't impress me much and the discounts didn't start until you were 55 so I quit.

At the time, I could beat their insurance prices too.

I know a gal that has their health ins. and she likes it.

Many restaurants will give the Sr. discount without being an AARP member. But I did run into a hotel that I would have gotten a discount ----if I was a member. Oh well......

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too was looking forward to being 50 just so I could join AARP. The car insurance was more than I already had. The only good thing was a discount at motels. I did hear that the supplemental insurance was good but that's down the line. I might join again later.

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
I might join again later.
Like I posted earlier...............I am just now thinking about joining again. Joined much earlier and found it wasn't worth it..........NOW it might be worth it, combined with my plans, for the travel discounts.

Just have to remember to ASK ABOUT IT once I get the card.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
My BF is 52 - We will never use AARP. They are anti gun and we will not support them or their liberal causes. If you take a little time you can get some great discounts for traveling on the internet and it is so easy to do comparison shopping on-line.

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
I am still a few years from qualifying, but I admit to reading the magazines at the doctor's office. I have friends who are older than me, and I occasionally talk to them about the articles I have read. So I would say the magazine is worth getting. I don't really pay attention to the advertising, since none of it really applies to me yet (although I do glance at it with my 81 year old mother in mind).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.