Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have read this, I would like to say that I consider myself to be of average intelligence, and very well-read......But I am a little over half way thru this book, and let me tell you, I AM JUST NOT GETTING IT!!! I don't know why I am not, but when Mack is talking to Papa, and then acts all astounded by something papa says, ......... it's just not there for me.... please help me..... I am beginning to think I am stupid or something......

·
8,714 Posts
~I have no idea what you're talking about but there are too many wonderful reads out there to waste time forcing yourself through a bad one. I suggest you start a new book.:thumb:~

·
Registered
47 Posts
By now you have probably put the book down or finished it, but thought I'd comment anyway since I just had a similar conversation with a good friend.

The Shack is essentially an allegory. It was written to try to share the author's "faith journey" as he delved more deeply into what he believed about God, life, etc. So if you aren't into thinking abstractly about spiritualism, theology or religion, then this is not a book for you. Don't let it make you feel "stupid." We aren't all interested in the same things.

If you meant that you "don't get" the symbolism - Papa, Jesus and Sarayu are representing the trinity that is part of the belief in many Christian denominations. The different kinds of "personalities" as it were, that God takes on to try to meet us where we are - to try to be what we need him/her/them to be. At least that's how I looked at it.

I have an intelligent well-read friend who read the book and thought it was supposed to be a true story. She was struggling with it. When I told her that it was fiction and explained the origins of it (it's part of a mental journey the author went through, examining his own beliefs and behaviors after having an affair with his wife's best friend) she was livid and wanted to throw it across the room.

Definitely not for everyone. (Just for the record, I liked it.)

Barb

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
QUOTE: "I haven't read the book but isn't Papa = God? Is that why he's astounded by some of the things Papa says? I think ForHISGlory has read it.....maybe she'll see this........???"

I share your feelings, if that is any help! I found myself having to reread parts of this in order to keep up my understanding. I was also arguing with the book as I went along as it challenged some of my more orthodox thinking. But I would encourage you to finish the book and see what you think then.

Journey-themed fiction is very common. Think of Huck Finn and his journey down river. Not only was he traveling more and more into the South, but he was also traveling more and more into his sense of morality. He struggled with how to perceive Jim, and the reader struggles with Huck.

Similarly, Mack has journeyed back to the shack. He struggles with forgiveness, and yes, I struggle with him. He struggles with how to view God, and again, I struggle with him.

It's not an easy read and I commend you for tackling it. Try to finish and then come back to this thread and tell us what you think.

·
Registered
47 Posts
QUOTE:"I was also arguing with the book as I went along as it challenged some of my more orthodox thinking. "

What a great way to put it, forHisGlory. I think that was one of the things I enjoyed about the book - I also did a lot of arguing with it (and with my dh), and "ok, but..." and yeah, re-reading some of those passages, too.

Barb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts