Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to get a haircut today; my hair was getting big and brushy. During the haircutting process, I started thinking all the different things that are involved with the salon atmosphere, everything thing that is caught up in the process. So, I decided to make this survey to see the different things that people do.

I know I am really OCD. ;)

1.Do you call ahead and scheduled an appointment or do you just walk in and see if you can get in the same day?”

I schedule a haircut about once a month, because I have an A-line Bob, with a buzzed nape, and if I don’t get a haircut, my neck gets really thick and it looks nasty.

2.When you walk into the salon, is your hair styled in its usually way or is thrown back in ponytail?

Well, since my hair is too short to throw in a ponytail, I put on a baseball cap to cover my horrible hair.

3.Do you read magazines when you are waiting or do you just stare blankly?

I read whatever magazine I can to make the time move faster, if I have to wait for a long time.

4.How long do you wait before you are taken to the chair?

My salon is really busy, but it really never takes more than fifteen minutes. Anyways I enjoy watch the going ons of the salon.

5. Do you get your hair wash or let them cut it dry?

I have never gotten a dry cut, because I love having my hair washed way too much to even branch away from it.

6. What color/pattern haircutting cape does your stylist use and far does it reach on you?

I love the cape, my stylist uses. It’s a kind of dull, iridescent pink. It’s so cute. The cape drapes down to the bottom of the chair and covers all the way down to my ankles. When I was told to tilt my head down, I could only see the tips of my boots coming from under it.

7.Do you like the feeling of the cutting cape?

I love the cool, silky feeling of them over my neck, arms and over my clothes. It has a heavy feeling to it, that I find really comforting. Also, like when it moves and it makes the ‘whooshing’ sound!

8. Do you put your hands under the cape or leave them outside of the cape?
After they put the cape on me, I keep them under, because I really hate when hair gets all over my arms and clothes. Anyways, they wouldn’t put a cape on you, if they wanted you to have hair all over your clothes.

9. Do you put your hands on the armrest or on your lap?

I do both, sometimes I switch from either position. I tend to play with my fingers to help from making me talk with my hands. Though, if its cold in the salon, I leave them on the armrest, because it seems to be a little bit warmer.

10. Do you place both feet on the footrest or cross your legs?

I put my feet together on the footrest, because I heard if you cross your legs, it misses up your stylist and you can end up with a crooked haircut.

11.Are you still when they are cutting your hair or act fidgety, tapping your feet or hands, playing with something under the cape, switching your body position around, talking with your hands?

I sit very still, my legs together, arms on the armrest and back against the chair. I found it relaxing to not be moving around, it makes me enjoy the experience even more.

12.Do you like it when they pump up the chair?

I love when they rise and lower the chair, I don't know why, but I like it.

13.Do close you eyes when they are cutting/or coloring your hair?

No, because I like to know what's going on at all times.

14. Do you watch when hair that has been cut falls on the cape and slides down it?

Well, today I got a good trim today, so a lot of hair was falling. Most of it stays around my shoulders, but sometimes a piece will leave the pile and slide all the way down the cape to my lap.

15. How much hair is on the floor when they are finished cutting?
There’s not much, but enough on the floor to let other people know that I got a haircut.

16. Does your stylist blow dry or use a Duster to wipe off the hair that has fallen on your neck?

She buttons the cape and sweeps my neck and shoulders with a duster and blow dries the hair that fell on the cape off.

17. How long does it take to go through the whole salon process for you?
While today I went in for a shampoo, a cut, and blowdry, which took about 30 to 45 minutes to get me done.

18. When you tip do you hand it to your stylist or to the receptionist?

I always hand it to the stylist, because I don't trust the receptionist to give it to the person taht cut my hair.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I found this very interesting. I am a hair stylist myself, so I can't really answer the questions. We do each other's hair in the salon when we get a free moment. It's not always a relaxing experience LOL. I will be interested in what other's have to say.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I only go about 4x a year to get a hair cut and I am due for another one. I go to a place I can afford (super cuts). I walk in and usually wait no more than 15 minutes and I read a magazine while I wait. Then I have them cut my hair dry (well spritzed with a spray bottle), because it costs more for a washing. I like to have my hair washed though, it's very relaxing (I miss it). I don't like the feeling of the cape around my neck, last time it was a dark color. I try to sit straight and still so that I get an even cut, I don't know if it matters or not. I like to keep my eyes open so I know what's going on and how much hair is falling. I watch the hair slide off the cape too, and I am usually amazed at how much hair is on the floor after my cut (after all I go in for a trim usually and it doesn't look like that much came off my head). The person that cuts my hair walks to the register where I pay and I give her the cost of the cut and the tip and tell her I am all set (that way she knows I don't want the change back). I am hoping to go Thursday or Friday for another hair cut, it's time. I am having dreams about my hair being out of control.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am a former hairstylist. I still keep my Cosmo license up to date ( discounts)

Very interesting observations!!

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I taught my Dh how to cut my hair a few years ago. I keep it shoulder length and all I ever need is a trim - an few inches every few months. I may have it done by a stylist once every two or three years. A frend of mine's mom use to do my hair. She was the only person I ever felt comfortable with....then she up and moved to New York. My grandmother was a hair dresser before she went to law school (years and years ago). She also helped me teach DH how to cut my hair.

I get very uncomfortable having to make small talk with someone I do not know. Sitting in "the chair" for a haircut, I get really nervous. My mom is the total opposite. She has a standing appointment every six weeks for a color touch-up with one girl and every six weeks for her trim/cut with the another girl. She goes to one of those upscale, froo-froo places where it takes forever to get an appointment. She loves to have her hair done and is great friends with the one who colors her hair. Mom's DH is the same way. He has a standing appointment every four weeks for his haircut and full body massage.

When my Dh gets his cut, he never makes an appointment, just does the walk-in thing. He always hands his hairdresser the tip, not the receptionist/cashier. He always washes his hair at home before and after the haircut. No matter what, they never get all of the hair off of his neck and back and it makes him itch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts