Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took DD apple picking today. We had a good time until the end. Here is part of a letter I just wrote to them that explains where things took a bad turn:

"We picked several apples, but there are only two people who eat apples in our home- me, and a two year old child, so I decided we would only pick a peck of apples. Since the bags only came in ½ bushel size, I filled the bag a little less than half full and assumed that they would be measured when we went back. Furthermore, our two year old was definitely done picking by this time, so we were ready to leave.
We had had a great time up until this point, but when we approached the store, the man asked us (and not in a kind way,) “what’s the matter? You didn’t like our apples?” We quickly explained that they would spoil if we picked more, and went inside to pay for them. My husband got in line to pay for them, and was asked, “What do you want me to do with this? What am I supposed to charge you? We charge by the bag.” At this point, I asked if we couldn’t be charged for a smaller bag, like a peck. The clerk (owner?) looked at us like we had six heads and nobody had ever dared do such a horrible thing before. We were charged for a peck at the already-picked price. We had planned to buy other items in your store, but decided we would give our business to someone else- anyone who doesn’t sell Terrace Mountain products, to be precise."

They had signs inside, where we went before we started picking, that said 1/2 peck, peck, 1/2 bushel, and bushel, so stupid us, we just assumed those were te sizes we could buy.
:bang:

Wrong. Apparently the only options were 1/2 bushel and bushel if you pick your own, which the crabby old man neglected to tell us when he old us where to pick. The way they treated us really doesn't come across in writing, but let's just suffice it to say we will NOT be going back, and I told them so. They power of negative word of mouth is even stronger than positive word of mouth, and I live only about 2 miles from them, so watch out, cranky, crabby old orcard people!

·
27,948 Posts
I'm sorry. Guess where I'll tell others not to go.;)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And geez, I can't type Orchard properly today. (I really think a better keyboard would help the situation, because I AM hitting the keys, but they just don't come across!)

Darlene, they were just way too cranky. Otherwise it would have been nice. :(

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
that stinks, hopefully you'll find another orchard!

·
Registered
19,004 Posts
Looks like they would have worked out something with you. Especially since you were going to buy other items in their store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts