Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm making a qult for Miss K's new room. I havent decided if I like it yet.....mayby it's SOOOOO busy & I'm sick of looking at it, I don't know, but anyway......

My machine quit on me last night!!  Just seized up  & made funny noises!  DH took it apart & said I burned out the motor.  I was sewing long 4 1/2 inch stirps together to cut into long strips of squares of different fabrics.  Does anyone know what I mean...is that called "strip quilting"?  Anyway, he said I needed to "give 'er a break once in awhile so she can cool down." What does *HE* know?  LOL!

I got this machine almost 10 years ago.  It's a White brand & it was under $200.  It's nothin real fancy....just a few different stitches & such.  A basic machine.

The stitch length adjuster has been broken....all my stitches are one length.  The "guide" to wind the bobbin had been broken off for years.  The tension adjuster has been broke forever, too.  I've just been limping along.

I don't machine piece *alot*....I like to hand piece, mostly for enjoyment, but once in awhile I use the machine.  I also make curtains, mend clothes, make a few items of clothing, etc. 

So, my point.........I need some advice on whether I should get one of those cheapo $70 machines at Walmart...or should I get something better.  I can't spend more than $400 if I do.

What do you all think?  Since Miss K's been born, I've used it for a baby bed set.....or 2 I guess.....a couple of curtains, a skirt & a pair of pants.  Now this quilt.  So, lately I haven't used it much.

What to do?  Any advice?

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
I'm a firm believer in that you buy as much machine has you can with the money you have. Buying a cheap machine will only bring you grief.

Your girls are going to grow and you will probably enjoy making pj's for them, clothes for them, and more quilts. Don't sell yourself short because you haven't used your machine much lately. A sewing machine is a huge investment, once that could last you a lifetime if you want it to.

We bought our dd a Husqvarna HuskyStar http://www.sew.husqvarna.se/index_centrera_java_new.html?url=http://www.sew.husqvarna.se/husk215.htm We paid $499.00 for it, however remember that is in Canadian funds. It's a great machine and if I was starting out and didn't have a huge amount of dollars, I would buy one for myself. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles but from the sounds of what you are saying, it doesn't need to.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

·
Registered
23,290 Posts
btw - if you don't like a quilt or are sick at looking at it, you might want to lay it aside for a bit and start something new. Usually when you go back to the original, you feel differently about it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Another suggestion is to contact local sewing machine shops that sell/repair machines. I purchased a slightly used Bernina model just a couple of years old for much less that what I would have paid for new.

I do agree, don't buy a new cheap machine ~ not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
I totally agree with homesteadmamma. I limped along with a cheap machine for years. Last year (after sewing for 35 years!) I finally invested in a good machine. I LOVE it and do tons more sewing than I ever did before....I look for reasons to sew and have tried lots of things I never did before. Buy the best you can afford. You won't be sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts