Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What things do you add to flavor your Couscous? I haven't had it for awhile and bought some.

I have some dried cranberries. Would that be weird?

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Cranberries would not be weird....you can add a bit of OJ in the hot water to help mesh the two flavours along. What about slivered almonds? Add canned or fresh poultry to go with the cranberry - thinking Thanksgiving - for the meat eaters in your house? Date/Fig & nuts?

I like using lemon juice, green onions, diced tomatoes, bean sprouts and chick peas - kinda like my own hm version of tabbouleh minus the over abundance of herbs. I'm more of a savory type person though.

Go Thai - lime juice, finely chopped peanuts, bean sprouts, sesame oil and finely diced ginger. Fish sauce optional.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Ooh just thought of using up leftover lentils that are already cooked - you can toss them in for a protein punch! Possibly along with a pinch of curry powder too. Yum!

I tried couscous a while back....not sure if I got a bad batch or what but the smell was not appealing :( I bought the whole wheat kind vs the reg white kind - think that had anything to do with it?

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea. I could add in my Curry Lentils I made tonight.

I think the whole wheat kind is rather blah. I bought roasted garlic and olive oil this time. Will see if it taste better.

I think Couscous is rather blah in general unless you add something to it to give it flavor.

Reactions: Libby

·
4,028 Posts
The first thing that came to mind was a small dice of dried apricot and that might go beautifully with the dried cranberries. I really like the idea of adding OJ to the cooking liquid to pull the flavors together. A sweet curry could also go into the combination... but I love curried fruit, so that may just be my weirdness.

You could use a sweet blend and stuff an acorn squash and bake it..... I'm hungry now.

Reactions: Palooka

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
prepare it in chix broth for xtra flavor.

we like it w/ fresh chpd chives and a seeded small dice tomato

we also like..small diced red onion, small diced radishes and a seeded diced tomato along with seeded small dice cucmber and some feta cheese.

couscous is very versatile. we eat it often in the summer instead of pasta salad.

·
Registered
984 Posts
We love it here with some olive oil , peas, and parmesean cheese sprinkled in . We cook in in chicken broth as well. Even my kids LOVE it.

Reactions: Palooka and Libby

·
Registered
10,978 Posts
You buying the Near East brand? The garlic and olive oil is ok, the parmesan is the best, IMO. The chicken one is also good, and I like the pine nut but it is more delicate.

You can add some broth to flavor it, just watch you aren't adding a whole lot more salt.

Typically I don't try and get a lot of flavor out of couscous, I use it as the plain side dish to sop up the sauce from whatever meat dish I'm serving. Kind of like potatoes or rice.

Reactions: Palooka

·
Banned
10,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I usually buy the Near East brand, but I found this at Aldi. That was the first I've seen Couscous there.

Thanks for the ideas. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.