1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work in a market/retail

college kids are home and my hours have been cut

i had to ask/well strongly ask for more hours in the week to come

i am a bit upset that (as they explained) the pt college students are employees too and we have to spread the hours out evenly

ok fine-i understand but a person who is available all year long i dont believe should be shafted for those who work 4-6 weeks a year

anyway it was just tiring to ask for hours and i hope i dont have to again

anyone else deal with this?

(ps i like my job!)

b

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I feel for you. But having been a college student working on breaks and summers as a nursing aid. Most of the time people were quite happy. They could take off time to be home with their families during the holidays. Hopefully you will be in the position later to enjoy the time off. It is always hard when you really need the money. But you might put the word out that you are willing to cover peoples shifts. I am sure that everyone has last minute things come up and needs time off.Talk to the supervisor and let her know you need the money and if anyone calls off to keep you in mind..

·
Registered
583 Posts
My manager asked me when a lady came home for College Break if i would mind my hours being cut back a shift per week.

I told her point blank i would prefer they not because i needed the money. She understands my needs and i am always willing to work on call when needed so she tries to accomidate me when she can.

·
Registered
783 Posts
My daughter was home from college and they could give her hours because others needed the money. Which she was disappointed but it all worked out.
candy

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
I have the same issue with students that work in the hospital. They tend to try to change my schedule to accomadate the students. It makes me beyond irritated. I have been here for 15 years, will not be leaving in a couple of years for another job but instead of appeasing the full time long term employee, the bend over backwards for the part time 24 hours (12 hour shifts) per week person.

I feel your pain. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would think that if your job performance has been good, they shouldn't be able to reduce your hours if you do not want them reduced from whatever you were hired to do?

·
Registered
244 Posts
We are currently dealing with this ourselves, we'll DBF is but we live together so it affects us both. He drives a truck and right now produce is low and so after him being out for 4 days his boss thinks it's ok for him to sit 4 days so someone else can use his truck. Like you he's a worker he wants to work till he has to take his reset on hours unlike the ppl whom his boss is putting in his truck who sit at home till they decide they want to go back out. He's currently looking for another company to work for b/c of this. He's a dedicated employee that has been top driver several times since being with the company and deserves better than this. I'm sorry you are in the same boat I know how much it stinks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts