Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am not a big spender by all means I still somehow manage to run our CC bill up a little higher than I like by the end of the month. (I would like to see a -0- in the new purchases column- lol).

We do pay our balance in full each month and others seeing the numbers would probably laugh when I say I run it up but to me it has become a challenge to just not use it at all and pay as I go with good 'ole cash. Up to this point I never carry any cash so all purchases are put on the card. All those $10 start to add up quickly by the end of the month.

So I know what the envelope system is and I know how to use it. I have used it in the past many, many moons ago but not in the past 15 yrs or so.

My main responsibilities around here are consumables (both edible & not) and things for the household. Our company takes care of our vehicles (which means I still pay, but just in another way).

So my envelopes will just be for household items, food, hba's, my entertainment (hubby gets an allowance- I don't coz I never bother to entertain myself- haha). My entertainment will be my craft supplies, & garage sale/thrift store purchases, if I grab something to eat outside the home (rarely happens I tell you), and anything else that falls into this category.

I am only going to keep one envelope. When it's empty, it's empty.

The envelope is going to be strictly funded from my 2 side jobs (grocery store & jewelry store, all the odd money making schemes I am involved in (survey taking, mail decoy, home scanning of products bought, garage sales, weekly farmers markets in the summer, jewelry sales at a local boutique and any other bits and pieces of cash that may come rolling in). It sounds like a boatload of money here, but trust me- all sources are very minimal. My real job (property management company) pay goes into the running of the rest of the household.

This here is my plan to help me make even more thoughtful choices before I pluck out another dime on anything.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hate when that happens. I sure hope I make it a little longer than that...lol

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's working already....

Today after work I needed a few items and I found myself really thinking thru each and every item that I had in my hand. "Do you really need this? Really>?" Remember, you only have cash to spend and what if something else better comes along and you don't have the cash to buy it. What then?"....

Really gets you to think about things... with a CC it was a no-brainer. "Yea, I need this" came way too easy.

·
2,688 Posts
Yay for you :)
Keep us updated, please.
I may have to resort to this.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yay for you :)
Keep us updated, please.
I may have to resort to this.
Well then what are you waiting for...come join my envelope party!
(Remember, the sooner the better ~ the early bird gets the worm ~ and all that good stuff)

·
2,688 Posts
Well then what are you waiting for...come join my envelope party!
(Remember, the sooner the better ~ the early bird gets the worm ~ and all that good stuff)
I hear you :)
We are trying what I wanted to do last year.
Subtract the tax money monthly, for school, and property, total divided by 12 months. This way the money is in the bank, but not showing in the total. I already made the master budget for the year. It scared me. Keep the tax refund in the bank for emergency use only. So far , so good :)

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I spread peat moss in the garden today (a big bag left from last year) - but I need more. And I got to thinking. If I buy more peat moss that is money spent from my envelope. I don't want to spend money from my envelope for the peat moss. What to do, what to do...

POOP - it's everywhere and it's FREE!

Called the local animal rescue looking for horse manure and they said I could have that or take some rabbit poop from the rabbit rescue. I said "which needs to get rid of it more?" and they told me the rabbit rescue. So I am getting rabbit poop tomorrow for the garden....

FREE POOP ~ what more could a girl want

Moral to this story: In days past (when I used my CC) I would have just went and bought the peat moss (because I feel it is a justifiable expense for the garden) but since I am on my new cash system I didn't want to part with the money.

My envelope just saved me $20 (or whatever peat moss is this year)... and, come to think of it - the peat moss would have required about a 10 mile drive. The rabbit poop less than a mile.

I just saved money on gas too!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update to POOP story:

I needed FREE dirt. Now I have the opportunity to get my FREE dirt with decomposed horse manure in it. So rabbit poop & horse manure is too rich for the garden and since I need FREE dirt I am going with the dirt/manure combo. I can still have the POOP anytime I want it and I will get some for fertilizing come the summertime.

Now I don't have to pay for dirt (as I have done in the past) because it would have to come from my envelope.

Yesterday I went for some garden seeds on sale. As I stood there with this giant pile in my hand I started to ask myself, "Self, why are you buying some of this stuff when you have the actual vegetables at home ripe with seeds just for the picking? You know Self, every dime you spend from your envelope is one less dime you have to spend on something else". So I put some of the seed packages back.

Then I stopped at Big Lots on the way home and was rewarded with my 'frugalness & resourcefulness' by finding Kelloggs All Bran Wheat Flakes on the clearance rack for $1 a box (17.4 ozs too!). So I bought 10...

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought about going to St.Vinny's today when I went out to grab a super bargain of boneless, skinless chicken breasts on sale for today only @1.39lb. But I rethought the thought because I want to save my money in my envelope for more important purchases (like those once in a lifetime clearanance/super sale deals that come along. Besides I am in the beginning throes of my saving so the envelope is pretty bare until I can start adding paychecks & side earnings to it. I can't risk running short by visiting somewhere that I don't really need to be and spending money I don't really need to spend on something that I don't really need to have to begin with.

In the past I would have just gone to Vinny's and if I saw something I wanted I would have just charged it...

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today was the real test of will-power. I actually drove right by all 3 thrift stores (Goodwill, Vinny's & Salv Army) without pulling a hard right and running over a few folks in the process to get into their parking lots.

Made a return at WallyWorld and walked right back out again.

Stopped at Big Lots and looked at nothing but the food clearance rack and walked right back out again.

Kept my eyes glued to the rode, not all the strip malls and kept moving along.

Didn't even want to go out at all - (you know to conserve gas and my sanity) but I had 2 mystery shops scheduled for today so I was 'a-workin'...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good for you, I wish you the most luck with your endevor. I am contemplating using this system. But haven't completely convinced myself yet. Keep posting as you journey along if you would. You may convince me yet.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good for you, I wish you the most luck with your endevor. I am contemplating using this system. But haven't completely convinced myself yet. Keep posting as you journey along if you would. You may convince me yet.
I have to tell you ~ it's got me thinking much, much harder every time my hand goes into my purse - no matter what the item is that I am considering...

Before, I was on auto-pilot - Good price- I need that!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today is 20% off at Big Lots with a coupon. I have that coupon. But what is more important is I have the will-power to stay away today.

Normally I would just go 'nose around a bit'. If I found something that was necessary I would plop down the trusty CC. But not today. I am on a CC long term fast. Which means that I can only rely on my trusty envelope full of cash. I am not spending any money from my envelope.

Maybe next time when I have a bigger cash stockpile built up. But for now, I stay home.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another side benefit of going to the all cash system...

I have agreed to pick up a few x-tra hrs at the grocery & jewelry stores for those wanting days off. Normally I would think really hard when asked, but now I just want my envelope overflowing with cash so I will be prepared for all those wonderful clearances that I run across (and the day to day living expenses too)...

So I have been saying "Yes, yes, yes" when they ask me to take their hours.

Plus that means I am in the grocery more often when the mark-downs come down the pipe...all the better to get first dibs at them.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Using my resources instead of my credit cards...

Just found an avenue for all the fresh apples I can pick this summer (and pears too) all for the taking, just by asking around.

Gosh- is this country great or what????

·
2,688 Posts
Well I guess you can say I am trying your method, but on a smaller scale. I don't like a lot of cash on me, it's safer in the bank. So today I had $ 25 that came from selling eggs. So the plan was to buy ONLY groceries with it. I got 5 one half gallons of milk, for $ 1 each on sale. ( that's $ 2 a gallon )
A couple pounds of apples for .59 a pound, and a few other things. Still have $ 6 left of the egg money. Guess I better put it in a grocery envelope :) Maybe I can track it better this way.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea!!! Welcome to the money club....

(today when I picked up my poop at the animal rescue the director handed me a dozen eggs she had just scooped away from the chickens)....

LOVE those freebies....keep 'em 'comin....

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Enjoying reading your thread...but then ALL your threads are fun to read! Watching for updates and congratulations on doing well. Wish we had Way To Go buttons.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts