Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~My SIL surprised me by saying that she'd already started mixing rice cereal with breastmilk to give to her 3 month old. She was going by a Gerber chart that said it was OK after 13lbs. And just today I overheard two guys in Walgreens picking up jarred baby food for a 4 month old. Is this a new trend?
I followed conventional advice and waited until 6 months. I'm confused!~

·
Registered
626 Posts
All three of my boys started on cereal at 3 months (although their drs all said "no solid food until they're a year." I think it just depends on the baby (dr's don't know everything). My boys needed to be fed every 1 1/2 hours, so we started the cereal (mixed with formula) and they did much better.

·
27,948 Posts
Started my 2 (now almost 21&22)on cereal at about that time too. ;)They slept alot better after doing so.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
we started mixing the rice cereal in the formual for Paige when she was around 3 months old and then we started her on jarred baby food when she started day care around 5 months old.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I won't do solid food until six months. Of course I'm pretty militant about my views on what my babies eat (no solids 'til 6 mo, no formula ever). My f-i-l is always telling me that my dh "needed" cereal to sleep better at an extremely young age, something that never fails to rile me up! O.k, off my rant now. ;)

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
DD was a month old when she started cereal and aboutr four months when we added applesauce(?).I cannot remember what food it was for sure though.

DS was a week old when he got his first cereal.

The pediatrician said it was ok for both to start their foods early. Both were big babies and formula was not satifying them at all. They were only given about 1-2 ounces two times a day and it was fed through an infant feeder.

From what I have seen with a lot of my friends who have had babies recently is they are giving them cereals around the three to four month age on average.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
The 'recommended' age keeps getting higher. When my son was born it was 4 months, when my daughter was born it was 6 months. They are just over a year apart.
My oldest is 14, she had cereal at 1 month.

·
Registered
618 Posts
My two older girls were four months. This was a mistake with dd2 and only added to her illness and weight issues. Newest baby was almost 6 mos old and is doing great!! I will not start much earlier than six months if we have another - too much risk for my family!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I won't do solid food until six months. Of course I'm pretty militant about my views on what my babies eat (no solids 'til 6 mo, no formula ever). My f-i-l is always telling me that my dh "needed" cereal to sleep better at an extremely young age, something that never fails to rile me up! O.k, off my rant now. ;)
I waited till about 8 months, ignored everyone else who kept pushing me to feed my kids solid food.- My rile: Never gave my child refined sugar until he was two, at which point MIL felt I was "abusive" and gave him ice cream.Ughhhhhhh

·
Technical Support Sleuth
6,481 Posts
We started giving Wesley cereal, not in with the formula, just plain cereal around 4 months. At about 6 months we switched over to baby food, and around 11 months to a year, he eats grown up food--i.e. gerber spaghetti, actual veggies, not purreed.

It depends on the baby and the parents/doctors view, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
depends on your child. ds was given rice cereal mixed with formula because he just wasn't satisfied. he'd drink a full bottle adn still be hungry and in his fit, would throw up the formula. when we started giving him a couple of ounces of formula mixed with rice cereal, that stopped.i think he was 3 months. dd was older. i was able to bf her and that was enough for her for a good while. she was closer to 6 months.

·
Registered
580 Posts
DS started rice cereal at 3.5 months because of his very had reflux. It was always mixed with either breastmilk or formula, he never latched and always has had a bottle. He started solids at 4 months. Oh and when I was pregnant I had the idea that I would BF 6 months and then start solids. Well things don't always go as planned. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts