Frugal Village Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This message is for Sheila who has been stationed at Al Udeid before. At least I think that's your name. I'm sorry if I've got it wrong. My dh just found out he's going TDY to Al Udeid AB, Qatar mid July. Do you have any advice I could pass on to him? His supervisor pushed for him to get a staff position in Centcom so he won't be out on the flightline in the horrendous heat. He's slotted for 120 days but we know it can be extended at any time. I'm more worried about the kids. Looks like he'll get out of potty training yet another child. Our 2 yo dd is ready to potty train so it looks like I'll be doing it myself. He also got out of potty training our ds. LOL!! He is going to be gone long enough that he's going to miss our ds first day of third grade. :( He'll hopefully be home in mid-November. He's going to miss our wedding anniversary too but I told him he can make it up to me when he gets back. ;) The longest he's been gone is six weeks. :eek: So I hope I can maintain Super Mommy mode that long. LOL!!

What types of care packages should I plan to send? What can't be sent over there?

What's it like living in tents? Anything you could tell us would be appreciated. :)

Thanks so much, I really hope you see this message and haven't been shipped back over there yourself. :)

I'm attaching a picture for others to see where he'll be:

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Thank you to your DH and to you for all your family is doing for our country. :usa:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pam-
What memories that picture just brought back!! In that picture, if you look at the most prominent row of tents, I was in the fifth one down towards the end on the right!
I feel for hubby because it is very hot there in the summer. If you have a laptop, he should take it so he can watch the free DVD's in the comfort of his own space. I would bring a few sweat shirts as it will start to cool down some by October at night.
Homemade cookies are a must in care packages as well as instant coffee. Suntan lotion, a bathing suit, at least four/five shower towels, shower shoes, a bedside light and personal mirror is excellent to have. Shower shoes are a must. An extension cord and flashlight should also be brought.
My hubby sent me goodies not available in the small BX, like TastyKakes and Dove's chocolates. He also sent "miss you" cards and pictures from home, which I also brought with me from the beginning. Local newspapers were nice to get as well as some of my favorite magazines...no smutty stuff is allowed.
The chow hall had everything. All the cans of sodas we wanted. Ice cream (Baskin Robbins) was free in the chow hall, which was great! They also occasionally had candy bars too.
That's all I can think of for now but if I think of anything else, I'll let you know.
Tell him good luck and enjoy it for what it is worth. I guess another nice thing is that every so often the USO passes through and puts on a nice show. When I was there I saw Drew Carrey and country singer Craig Morgan. He should take advantage of the services they offer...the time goes quicker!
Hugs and be sure to vent here all you want while he is gone!
Sheila

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
Pam, I admire your strength and courage that you will have in dealing with the next few months. I'll be thinking about you.:heartsm: Good luck to your dh in his new mission.

(((hugs))) Lucie

·
Registered
33,846 Posts
My prayers go out to you and all the other families that have loved ones that have either served, are serving or will be serving overseas. A good friend just emailed me a few weeks ago saying her National Guard hubby was being deployed for 1 year and was due to leave the same day her oldest son is to report for boot camp for the Marines.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody. :) :hugz: Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this thread but things are hectic around here. Trying to get all doctor and dentist appointments done before hubby leaves so it's one less thing to worry about. We are also planning to drive down to Southern Cailf. for a week so my dh can see his parents and sister before he goes. I don't think I could fit one more thing on my plate right now. LOL!! I really appreciate the prayers, positive thoughts and well wishes. We'll need 'em. It looks like hubby will be leaving earlier now. Instead of mid-Jily it'll be the last week in June. If he only does the 120 days he'll be back right before our 16th wedding anniversary on Nov 9th.

Sheila,

I'll be sure to let hubby read your message. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
God Bless You and Yours Pam. We will all help you through the potty training and everything else you have to do, you wont be alone. Frugal village sisters stick together!

You and your family will most certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
:hugz: Pam and a big thank you to you and your dh! :thanx:

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Stay safe Pam's hubby! Pam if you need to talk, just pm me or email me. My DH leaves in July for a second 6mo in Kosovo.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mel! Will do. :)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again everyone!:D I haven't been to the Village in a few weeks as things are crazy here. Luckily I got an email for this thread. My dh was suppose to leave this Wed. but they didn't have his orders ready so they got that worked out and he will now be leaving the week after the 4th. So that's a good thing. :D I probably won't be around much this summer, the kids are going to be my focus. They are really going to need me.

Jodi,
Yes I'm still looking into the surgery. I am waiting for the class on the 29th of July. Then I'll do what I can from there but will have to wait to schedule a date until dh is back home. Feel fre to email me at [email protected] if you'd like to stay in touch.

Have a great summer everyone and thanks for all the kind words and support. :sun:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts