Frugal Village Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my own rule about not buying produce at Aldi. I have gotten really bad stuff there before. I do like Aldi for some things, like frozen salmon fillets, chocolate chips, and olive oil. Well, I was in there this morning, and decided to take a chance on a bag of mixed fruit. It was five pounds of apples and oranges for $3.99. I looked the bag over, and thought it looked OK. Well, I was wrong! I got home and opened the bag to put the fruit in the fridge, and two of the oranges had moldy soft spots on them, and the red delicious apples had several soft brown spots. I will NEVER buy produce at Aldi again.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I picked up a bag of vine ripened tomatoes there and on closer inspection it had some kind of chrysalis on them. Yuck!

Here is a pet peeve of mine, when buying apples or any produce is to have the baggers or cashiers just throw them into the bag. DH is embarrassed when I make them go back and get me a new bag. But who wants to eat bruised fruit?
As for Aldi I buy bananas there all the time. If they are green I put them in a paper bag in a dark closet and they ripen beautifully. Bagged salads, carrots, green peppers, and celery are good too, you just have to check everything out throughly before you buy it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Our Aldi has some very nice produce, including cucumbers out of season. We like to buy bananas there too because our kids love them and I like to make banana bread.

I have heard many people state that their particular Aldi has bad produce, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
The few times I have been in ours, the produce seems fairly good. The only exception would be the potatoes. Oh goodness does that box STINK to walk by. You know how rotten potatoes smell...that's what it smells like! :puck:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I agree with Heather on the potatoes, that and the onions. To be honest, I only buy Green Peppers and Tomatoes at Aldi and ONLY if I am going to use them right away

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
My mom warned me against the potatoes at Aldi. She said that they tend to have rotten ones in the bag when you get them home. I bought a bag of onions for only 79cents and I only had to toss one of them out. The rest have been fine. I am very weary of the rest of the produce though. I love shopping there for everything else though, I haven't found better prices on canned goods or cereal anywhere else.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think their potatoes stink, too! I picked up a bag of Yukon Gold potatoes in there today, but I put them right back! They were cheap, only $1.39 for five pounds, but no bargain if they are rotten. I have purchased head lettuce at Aldi that looked perfectly green and fresh on the outside, but got it home and peeled a few leaves off to wash it, and it was all brown inside. I will say that the baby carrots are usually safe. I have purchased them several times.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't like the produce their either.
I haven't found a problem with anything else.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just bought some apples there, and boy are they nasty! I have bought the baby carrots = ok, and green peppers, and bananas without any problems.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
If it were me I would bring them back to the store and get my money back...I would also tell them why you dislike their produce..

I buy my potatoes,onions,garlic,lettuce,carrots,mushrooms and bananas from Aldi's and knock on wood I have been very fortunate so far not to have anything damaged or rotten..

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't have bad experience with produce at Aldi but I don't get to buy there that often, either.

I had the experience to find a rotten apple in a bag which was on sale. The next day I told the produce manager about it, he asked me if I wanted a refund but I have to produce my receipt which I have thrown away. So he asked if I would be appeased with 2 bags and I gladly took it. The replacements had no issue.

I think its always worth to ask, you don't even have to bring the rotten proof, they usually take your word for it. Hopefully you encounter people who aim to please their customers. BTW, its good practice to write feedback to the store, they usually take it seriously. I have always received replies from the COO/president and a few times, there were giftcards enclosed.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to Aldi today to get some other things. I looked at the produce, and the strawberries were all moldy. The blueberries were shriveled and had mold, too. I did buy baby carrots. I have never had any issues with the baby carrots. I also got some frozen strawberry fruit bars. We love these bars! They are so good!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I haven't had much trouble with the produce there either, but I do think you have to really inspect what you are buying. I buy the baby carrots, celery, green peppers, onions, poatoes and bananas quite often. I also buy avacados and tomatoes when their price is good. Our store is only a few years old and many of the same people have been there since it opened, so I know them. I also like to get many things there that aren't produce, especially the cinnamon danishes....yum!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I WONDER WHAT IT IS WITH THE POTATOES AT ALDI WE GET STINKY ONES OVER HERE i will not buy them its like the bags get very sweating i complained to the cashier there she said it had just been put out
That's odd!! We bought a 10 lb bag of potatoes there yesterday for our corned beef/cabbage/carrots/potato dinner. The potatoes were smaller, but otherwise ok. We also bought 2# bags of whole carrots there yesterday. They were ok too!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
in the US I never had an Aldi around, so coming back to Germany I had "to learn to go shopping" again, and naturally Aldi was the first one on my list, since it was THE store I grew up with.

But I don't like it. I get some basics there (tp, some juice, some dairy products), but I don't like their produce at all!

Here we don't even have the transportation problem as Germany is the home of Aldi. Their quality has gone down a lot since I was a child.....

·
Registered
164 Posts
I try not to shop at any major supermarket chain because of the "food miles" that most of the food (canned, produce, drygoods, whatever) has travelled - it all adds to fuel costs, greenhouse gases, and in the end, your pocket costs as well.

I go to Aldi for some canned staples (such as tomatoes) but are hoping to do away with that for a 12 month period shortly. My plan is to go to the city produce market, buy 4 cases of tomatoes, and preserve them in Fowlers Vacola enough to make 60 x 400 gram bottles, which is what a family of 4 would use in a year. If that is a success I will try other types of vegetables, (beans etc), and hopefully cut out using canned goods altogether - they use so much energy in their growth, transport, canning, transport again; it makes me shudder every time I pick up a can of kidney beans!!

As for eating red meat....1200 litres of water makes 500 grams of porterhouse steak - no thanks!! I'll stick to less environmentally damaging forms of nutrition, much as I like meat!

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I noticed today at Aldi that milk prices were less there than I have seen in any other store lately. A gallon of any milk was only $1.69, I usually pay $2.09at my regular grocery store. I bought several bags of groceries there today and I only spent $26.28. I bought baking products-sugar, choc. chips, evaporated milk, block of cheese, (4) canned biscuits, noodles, jar of sauce, some canned veggies and soups, kittly litter, kitty food, tp, and bagels. I never do this well at the regular grocery store, even with coupons.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My MIL taught me to store potatoes in the fridge. They will last forever(well almost). So, I do buy potatoes at Aldi if they look good and keep them in the fridge.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts